Japanese classical commas

I understand that classical albums should list the performers seperated by commas. When it comes to Japanese classical performances where the performers have their names written in Japanese script, should we still use a normal comma + space or should a fullwidth Japanese comma (、) be used to seperate them? Example of a release like this:

2 Likes

I’d go with the fullwidth commas. I use them in pretty much every other instance.

3 Likes

I’d generally use standard commas because these are meant to follow a MusicBrainz standard, not a language standard nor follow the language as such.

2 Likes

I use standard ", " and "; " for Japanese releases. Classical release credits are meant to be standardized for parsability, or that’s how I read the current guideline. So there usually isn’t any room for punctuation variations unless they’re written on the release in a way that combine two entries in a logical manner, example: Academy of Ancient Music & Chorus.

It is kinda ugly to not use fullwidth commas, but I don’t view the release/recording artist for classical releases as a proper artist credit, just a list of relevant composers/performers.

1 Like