Issue with missing release-groups when using web service search


#1

I found an interesting issue while playing around with the web service searching capabilities. The following browse request produces a release-group entry for the future album release “To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere”

http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/artist/244afcb7-fa9a-49b1-9aa6-0149512d1c52?inc=release-groups

Whereas the following search does NOT produce a release-group entry for the future album release “To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere”

http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release-group?query=arid:244afcb7-fa9a-49b1-9aa6-0149512d1c52

I feel these should return similar results. I do not see anything obvious that would make the release-group not show up in the search, and its even weirder that 33 entries are returned in both searches, but there are quite a few differences.


#2

It looks like “Major/Minor” is also not returned from the second (query) endpoint. Maybe if you can figure out the similarity between those two albums and whatever other delta there is between them you can debug it a bit. Interesting puzzle, though.


#3

Hi,

Notice that you’re only getting 25 release groups in a response (the default), while the artist has 33 RGs. Since the results are not returned in any particular order, which 25 you’ll get will vary.

Depending on the type of request, you can use offsets, paging or an increased limit to get more results. See ws2/paging docs for more info.


#4

that explains it. what was confusing me was that it said there should be 33 in the release count so i didn’t bother looking any further. if it had said only x returned then i probably would have noticed. thanks! that helps a lot.