Imports from other sources than LastFm?

Hellooo :smiley:
So I’m really new to ListenBrainz and I’m sorry if I ask stupid questions.
I want to know if it is possible to import or create “scrobbes” from other sources than a LastFm account? I mean things like importing a CSV from an old LastFm account that doesn’t even exist anymore. Or importing a textfile with a list of music i know i listened to before i had LastFm. Like, OpenWeb Scrobbler for ListenBrainz but without the 2 week limit? Do things like this exist? If not, it would be great if it could be invented. ListenBrainz seems really like a great addition to LastFm. And maybe it will be a great alternative in the future!

5 Likes

A lot of software already supports directly submitting to ListenBrainz. Some is listed at Adding Data - ListenBrainz. A more comprehensive discussion is at List of native ListenBrainz API apps and in development apps

Some tools with audioscrobbler (aka last.fm) support only can be configured to submit to LB directly using the compatibility layer by configuring the tools to use http://proxy.listenbrainz.org/.

As for importing a CSV file directly I am not aware of a ready made utility to do so. But it can be definitely done with some programming and using the ListenBrainz API. There is an explicit “import” for submitting previously recorded listens. At the very minimum this requires you to have a list of listening timestamp, artist name and track title. The release title and the corresponding artist, track and release MusicBrainz IDs are also very helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, now at least I got it working with Musicbee :smiley:

This sounds interesting, but also quite complicated. Does it work with the last.fm-Scrubbler-WPF or Open web scrobbler?

How does that import work? Do I need to know programing for this? Because unfortunately I don’t know anything about programing. But I have a document list of songs and their dates i remember i heard before i had Lastfm. Would it be easy to import them to ListenBrainz?

Does nobody know how i can import my list?

The best I have to offer: I have a Python script somewhere which I used to re-import my ListenBrainz export again. I guess that could be easily adapted to import your export.

But the script is very crude, it was an adhoc thing just for my personal one-time use. But I would be willing to share that script and even adapt it to your export and guide you through calling it, but I won’t have time the next 2-3 weeks for that.

If you can share let’s say the first few lines of your CSV export I could adapt the script to its structure.

1 Like

tbh this sounds complicated :confused:
I have a list of music i remembered exactly i listened to, saved in Google Sheets. I can save it as a file. Would that work? Man i wish simply the Scrubbler would work for this :frowning:

ListenBrainz has so much great potential.

I’ve been working on GitHub - Coloradohusky/ListenBrainz_File_Parser: Parses database files from different music listen tracker applications, and imports them into ListenBrainz recently, to help with submitting listens to ListenBrainz - send on over some sample files and I’ll work on adding them!

1 Like

If you want to import listens of releases/recordings from MusicBrainz itself, I’ve made a plugin for Picard that does exactly this. Haven’t made a thread for it yet as I’ve felt it’s not ready for prime time, but I’ll post it here if one wants to give it a try.

1 Like