Importing song credits from discogs

Someone (bless them) has gone through and added all credits for

into discogs

which makes my life so much easier - if someone’s already done the credits, I’m not going to redo them and potentially mess something up. However… is there a userscript or way to import all credits from discogs into MB? The only thing I can potentially think of is importing the entire album, then merging the duplicates, but I don’t think that copies the song credits (or any of the credits?) which is really what I’m looking to do.

2 Likes

I have not heard of such a script yet, but I don’t know all of them.

There are no other topics yet on that subject.

2 Likes

I don’t know of an automatic userscript for that either, but the Discogs release importer could be handy~ in addition to importing releases from Discogs, it’ll also add little icons all over Discogs to linked MusicBrainz entities~ I’d add a screenshot, but I’m away from my PC at the moment…

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been using that one to add in release versions - but I don’t know if it copies all of the credits along with it or not as I’ve only had ones that have only the most basic info (titles, times, barcodes) to be imported from Discogs, or if they do have numerous credits, the release/works/recordings already exist on MBz and I’m not going to mess with someone else’s work just to test and see if it does. (Which from what @jesus2099 said, I’m going to guess the answer is no.)

2 Likes

It only really copies the basics, including the title and artist(s), release labels and cat. numbers, release dates and countries, medium types, and tracklist. no relationships besides the Discogs URL.

a pretty typical Discogs import is this one I did fairly recently. the track relationships are from another release which I own.

that said, it’s super easy to click and drag those little MusicBrainz icons into the search box when adding relationships. you still have to manually choose the relationship types, and it doesn’t show the icons when Discogs isn’t linked on the MusicBrainz entity, but I’ve found it’s a massive time saver~

1 Like

That is a bummer, it would be far better for an import of the credits, but can’t ask for everything, I guess. I just don’t like redoing someone else’s work lol. I’ll look into doing that later (I’m frazzled from adding all of Ateez’s MVs in one go before they drop their new album) and that does probably save a good deal of time just being able to drag and drop.

1 Like