Implying Release Aliases from Release Group?

good afternoon~

I was about to make a ticket for this, but I’m not sure if it should be an MBS ticket or a SEARCH ticket (or maybe even both).

I think release aliases should probably include those from the release group.

for example, the deadmau5 album 4×4=12 has a search hint alias of 4x4=12 (note the letter “x” instead of the multiplication sign “×”). however, none of the releases have the same alias, so they aren’t found with a search for 4x4=12*. similar is also true for The Beatles’ self-titled album, often called The White Album, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy’s second Self-titled album, often called Americana Deluxe.

this change would likely prevent the need for data duplication and also save a lot of editor’s time, having to enter release aliases several times over.

*there is currently one release found, only because it’s incorrectly entered with the letter “x”. there’s already an edit in correcting this.

the reason I’m unsure of where to put the ticket is because I’m not sure if this should just affect the MusicBrainz search, or if there should be some website changes too, i.e. showing implied aliases on the release page. or perhaps it wouldn’t affect search at all, because I’m not too sure of the scope of SEARCH.

6 Likes

In any cases, a ticket can be moved to the correct project, at any time. :slight_smile:

Also you can make a search in the existing tickets, maybe sometimes you can just upvote an existing ticket, or write a comment to it.

Here are some related tickets I have found:

4 Likes

that’s fair, I completely forgot to search for an existing ticket… :melting_face: good to know I’m not the only one thinking about this tho~