IFPI numbers

Is there somewhere a release’s IFPI number can be stored?

Just as free text in the annotation of the release.

2 Likes

I usually put it with the rest of the matrix under a heading for possible future searchability. I’ve got no particular standard yet (save for the heading), and I don’t know if there is one:

you can add headings in between equals signs “=”, and the heading I always add is == Matrix == (note the spaces around ‘Matrix’).

3 Likes

Variations on a theme. As there are two IFPI numbers, they have different meanings, so differing layouts. A random example of the pattern I follow:

I also tie in the DiscIDs as we often have the pre-NGS mess of CDs attached, so I like to show the connections to the real CD.

3 Likes

I’ve been learning about the mess with Disc ID pre-NGS :slight_smile:

If I’m understanding right, it would be good practice to add a reference in the annotation linking DiscID, IFPI number and matrix code?

Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

The more clues there are about the good DiscIDs, the better. Sometimes you will see an editor get out the Flamethrower :fire: :fire: :fire: and clear out DiscIDs that are a long way off average. Normally means having to look through lots of releases to build patterns up.

I was looking at The Beatles - White Album today and many of those have 33(!!) disc IDs attached to a release. Some are clearly miles out and likely to be home-brew CDs. But you can also spot the various re-issues with a bit of time and patience. The more editor notes saying “this is my verified discID” the better.

3 Likes