If an image is back of the tray

Except when the last page in the booklet if different from the back of the cd jewel case. Booklets really need to be separate and rethought

1 Like

Sorry, I will re-write that comment. Me bad with words again. I was meaning there are things we say in the English language that don’t fit the guidelines. “back+booklet” is never going to be a legit thing. “Back” has a very specific meaning

(I have also see people go “medium+back” for similar confused language reasons)

1 Like

Where / how do I do that?

1 Like

Right here or in a new forum thread!

Link to the guideline/doc pages that need to be changed (or name the new pages that need to be created), and then draft your suggestions.

If there’s a consensus (this can sometimes be the tricky part, hang in there), I will harangue our poor style lead, @reosarevok, to update the guidelines proper with your suggestions.

I should also mention there are hundreds of threads in this forum of similar conversations. This is how these artwork guidelines have been thrashed out and defined over the years.

1 Like

Yep… and I am still writing lots of toot… :joy:

I know now, but could the UI show a line like “only one front and one back per entry!” or something? Or warning when a second Front is used? Or change Front and Back to Front-of-Release and Back-of-Release? Just some suggestions.

1 Like

It appears to me that the guidelines try to be flexible enough to describe an ‘abstract’ box/container/case that may contain other box/container/cases, which makes them ambiguous and slightly imprecise when describing images from standard item such as a jewel case, a booklet, etc. For example, ‘spine’ could be the edge of the jewel case or it could be the spine of a box set.
I’d rather see a way of very clearly and precisely describing a jewel case without ambiguity.

‘Front’ is the Front of the jewel case, “Front, Booklet” works when the Front image and the first page of the booklet are the same, but there’s no way to describe the first page in the booklet when they are not. Back is the back of the jewel case, I’m not sure how the last page in the booklet is described.

I also favour single types in general for simplicity. I’m not sure what I feel about things like stickers and Obi, There’s also a difference of opinion about the reason for having cover art in MB. Is it to help identify releases or as a first rate repository of artwork…

In your second sentence you show one of many places where you need two types. “front + sticker” will be different to a “front” without a sticker.

Last page of a booklet is just “page 24” (or how ever many pages you have).

Was really just trying to link to the thread…

Well, not sure. Front + Sticker could be combined to be “Front-Sticker”. Much simpler IMHO

Works as long as you have all the pages or know how many you should have. @jesus2099 was arguing for 24 of 24 elsewhere.

Not really. Picard has an option to select “front” and it would be able to say “yeah, give me any fronts you have - including the one with a sticker”.

Otherwise if the only image available is “front-sticker” then you would not have a “front” to show.

There are other cases (which I can’t think of right now) where multi-types are really very handy.

(I think I worded that rubbish…)

1 Like

Adding page numbers has been asked for and is being worked on. Some large booklets I have only uploaded a first and last page and the page with the credits on it.

Maybe it’s the image should be just front… it’s the dsotm sticker issue

If you are using dstom as an example, you also have covers with obi’s there too. MB tends to put the stickered version up first as it is how you see it on the shelf. But some people don’t like sticker and want to only select a “front” image. (See also Obis, versions in boxes, etc… bit of everything with DSotM)

I can see how the multiple types are helpful in this example.

All good points but fyi if you want the guidelines to be updated you need to be specify exactly what you propose to change, and to what. There’s no employee whose job it is to pick apart community discussion/feedback and turn it into guidelines (maybe someday?)

I could be tempted to help but I’m already meant to be doing a soundtrack guideline ahhh :grimacing:
So I’m giving you a push instead :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Both make sense, which means the system is not water-tight. And that is probably not necessary.

As a software developer myself I know the question is: what is the goal, what are we trying to achieve?
I can see the need for a single Front image, as that would be used for displaying in a list or at the top right of an entry. So there has to be only one image that has Front and no other tags. Back, Spine, Top, and Bottom can also only be used once (for the whole release as it is on the shelves) - I can see the use of that for being able to recognise what release you have in your hand.

What is the “problem” with the outside of the booklet being tagged Front/Back/Booklet? I mean: is a query going wrong somewhere? Do we collect more items than we want in a search? Or the outside of a tray inlay being Back/Spine/Tray. In a box, every jewel case has a spine and a front and a back, but those tags cannot be used.

To me this feels like there should be tags for the whole release and for everything else that is inside. Like a ReleaseBack that can only be used once, but Back that can be used for the booklet, tray, poster, thank-you card, etc.

By the way, what is the tray inlay card with spines to be tagged with if there is a slipcase or O-card? Spine, alright, but the slipcase gets the Back tag as that is the back you see when the album is on the shelf. It’s still the inlay that is in the tray, just the backside of it.