How to un-merge inappropriate merge?

Hi everyone,

1. I’m trying to post artwork to FanArt.tv for the Grateful Dead’s live release, “Dave’s Picks, Volume 19: Honolulu Civic Auditorium, Honolulu, HI • 1/23/70”. There’s a problem with getting an accurate listing because the official release is merged with a bootleg titled 1970-01-24: Honolulu Civic Auditorium, Honolulu, HI, USA. The "Dave’s Picks’ release includes music from January 24, 1970, but these aren’t the same release in any other way. Is there any way to un-merge these?
1 Like

I have always seem the bootlegs in the same release groups as the, usually later, official releases.
We then give the release group the official name.
Even if different recordings of the same concert, I found it convenient like that.
Of the problem is the release group cover, you can select the official one, for instance, see Set cover at, in the sidebar.

Thanks for getting back to me. The problem is the title - when I select the group ID, it chooses 1970-01-24: Honolulu Civic Auditorium, rather than “Dave’s Picks, Volume 19: Honolulu Civic Auditorium, Honolulu, HI • 1/23/70 ”. Is there a way to change that?

FWIW, I suggested a Delete edit on 1970-01-24: Honolulu Civic Auditorium, altogether. It’s a torrent-only collection, not a Kiss The Stone or similar-label release.

1 Like

I don’t think deleting the bootleg release is necessary (nor am I sure it’s a good idea, as MB doesn’t require physical media in order to consider something a release).

The Release Group could be renamed to reflect the title of the official release rather than the boot (as jesus2099’s response suggests). Alternately, the two could be split into separate release groups; this might be the better approach, since the official release covers more material than the bootleg (making it similar to a “2-in-1” release, which belongs in its own RG per style guidelines).

2 Likes

Just a heads up that this should be fixed with @reosarevok’s edit #57883473