How to search releases with dots in the name, like "S.H.I.E.L.D."`?

I’m trying to find a release called “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Original Soundtrack Album” from Bear McCreary with a webservice call.

My attempt:
https://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release/?query=release:%22Marvel%27s+Agents+of+S.H.I.E.L.D.%22%20AND%20artist:%22Bear+McCreary%22
doesn’t get any result.

If I remove the .H.I.L.D. I get the matching result.

How do I have to write/replace/encode the dots in the search URL?
(Hint: It is NOT %2E :face_with_monocle:)

1 Like

i can’t help you with that.
but this is definitely a case where we should help everyone… by adding aliases to the items we add.

2 Likes

Trouble is the alias still won’t help the broken\weird search.

which is why I started my statement with i can’t help you with that.

However, when I search MB (using the regular website) for S.H.I.E.L.D., it doesn’t appear anywhere on the 6 pages of release groups nor the 13 pages of releases. All results shown are without dots.
So, to me, the first alias I would create would be SHIELD, with no dots. And, IMO, anyone searching for this who got no results would also try searching without the dots (although, adding the alias would cause it to show in search).

3 Likes

Idea is good enough to just add it. So I alias added of “Marvel’s agent of SHIELD”. Surprisingly the search doesn’t even ignore the apostrophe. Only so many variants can be added though. There are also tickets on this stuff…

1 Like

Replace . with +

4 Likes

Impressive, that really works. How did you found this solution?