How to rate specific performances of symphonies

Hello,

I would like to rate specific performances (recordings) of Classical aggregate works (symphonies, operas, …), and not just the overarching work since different recordings correspond to different performances which can really be very different.

As far as I can see there is no way to do this. Only the discrete works that are part of the aggregates (such as movements of a symphony) have recordings associated with them, but I can’t find any recording associated at the level of the aggregate work.

Am I missing something, or am I desiring something that can’t (currently) be done?

Thanks!
Bart

1 Like

Unless there exists a single recording of the entire performance, we don’t have an entity that represents the performance as a whole. But if you want you can create such a recording, even without that recording having appeared on a release, and then rate that.

2 Likes

And link it to its parts, the small published recordings. :slightly_smiling_face:

But don’t you have a release group for each whole work recording?
It’s the one I would rate.

Ah, right, yeah, that’s what I figured. Are you sure creating such a recording isn’t bad practice?

Rating the release group is my strategy for non-Classical music :slight_smile:, but with Classical it’s very common for releases to include several different works, for instance two different symphonies. In that case I want to rate both of the symphonies individually, not the containing release.

1 Like

I don’t see any reason it would be.

BTW: If you have detailed performance info (such as performers, dates, locations), remember that entering these is always appreciated!

2 Likes