How to find common name Release Group on Add Release - Release Information

Newbie here so tell me if this the wrong place to post this.
Issue I am having is adding CD’s that have a common Release name like “Greatest Hits”.
When you go to Add Release, on the Add Release page I add the Title and the Artist but then on the Release Group field you have to search and match or create a new Release Group. I have already searched previously and know that the particular artist has a release group of Greatest Hits but the drop down search lists ALL the Release Groups with “Greatest Hits” irrespective of the artist, and there are a lot. There isn’t any filtering e.g. by Artist and doesn’t seem to be in any Sort Order. How do I find the Release Group “Greatest Hits” for the particular Artist I am looking for?
Nicest fix would be if the drop down search results were filtered by the artist.
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
A good tip is that you can paste the url of the release group in the form and it will pick that release group. This also works for artists and recordings!

7 Likes

Wow and Wow. Thanks for the quick reply, great to see a forum that is well attended and quick with responses.
That response worked perfectly.
Not sure I would have thought of that so maybe a note in the documentation on Adding New Releases might be an idea. Duh, I just figured out the hint in the drop down to paste an MBID i.e a MusicBrainz release group ID. Maybe I just need more coffee or something stronger.
Thanks

5 Likes

This ticket is tracking the release group ranking issue that you described:

1 Like