How to enter blu-ray audio release with multiple tracks/mixes

I’ve done quite a lot of searching and haven’t found any clear guidance on how I should handle this.

I recently got the blu-ray release of Trevor Horn’s Echoes: Ancient and Modern.

The blu-ray disc has 8 “tracks” (1 video, 7 audio mixes) on it. Not sure what to call these in the MB world.

• 1 - Video - this is just the static cover art with changing song titles
  • 2 - 7.1 TrueHD Atmos
  • 3 - 5.1 Dolby Digital
  • 4 - 5.1 DTS-HD MA
  • 5 - 5.1 DTS
  • 6 - Instrumental - 5.1 DTS-HD MA
  • 7 - Instrumental - 5.1 DTS
  • 8 - Stereo (24/96)

What is MB best practice on how to enter this?

Side question: I’m also curious on where people find all the detailed credits information for individual tracks (recording engineer, assistant mixer, orchestrator, etc.). I see them listed for the other releases of this release group, but they aren’t listed in the liner notes I got and I haven’t been able to find them through searching. This seems relevant because I’ve seen a few posts saying it impacts how you enter things if the mixes are done by different mixing engineers, but I don’t know how I could determine that.

1 Like

As it’s just a title video track, I would only enter audio tracks.
3 times the 11 album tracks (I see 3 mixes):

• stereo
  • 5.1 (I guess all those 5.1 mixes can be seen as same mixes)

And then the 11 instrumentals:

There is no stereo instrumental tracks?

I think the credits usually comes from booklets.
Maybe the CD edition has a better booklet?
I asked the question to the editor.:

Also 5 recording engineers for a single recording?
Doesn’t it look like a release level relationship, instead?
When we don’t know which track was recorded by which one of the engineers that we have in booklet lists that do not mention the tracks.

I look at the booklets here: https://www.discogs.com/release/29085712-Trevor-Horn-Echoes-Ancient-Modern

And can see more detailed credits that cover performers and mixers. Something like this is going to credit the whole production crew.

1 Like

Thanks for this guidance. Should I enter all tracks on the same medium, like was done for the Blu-ray here? Or separate medium for stereo, 5.1, 7.1, and instrumental?

And for the 5.1 and instrumental 5.1, do I just note in the Annotation that there are multiple codec versions?

There is no stereo instrumental track.

1 Like

Same medium, as there is only one Blu-ray, right?

Good question for the codecs…
If codecs are important (I really don’t know), then they should be separate recordings…
Someone has an idea?

For me it’s not important, I don’t think we do a release for MP3 and a release for FLAC, in digital albums, for example, when it’s the same mix…

I’ve finished entering it as best I can, here. I’m happy to make any changes needed.

I’ll work on adding all the relationships to all the tracks, but that is an incredibly tedious and time-consuming task.

1 Like