How To Do A Work Part Position Change By More Than One Step

Being in the middle of adding a release of Mahler’s Symphonies I noticed that the work part order of Symphony no. 8 Part II is not correct. Bar numbers according to the score are

55 - f. Gerettet ist das edle Glied (Engel)
84 - g. Hier ist die Aussicht frei
63 - g. Jene Rosen, aus den Händen
76 - g. Uns bleibt ein Erdenrest (Engel)
81 - h. Ich spür’ soeben (Die jüngeren Engel)
89 - i. Höchste Herrscherin der Welt (Doctor Marianus)

(see also https://www.naxos.com/sungtext/PDF/550533-34_Mahler_Texts.pdf)

I tried to move “Hier ist die Aussicht frei” three steps down but to me it looks like you can only do one step in one edit run so I quit the edit. Is there any work around or script for such edits?

You can do as much renumbering as you want in one edit. Just hit the arrow multiple times. (Ignore all the highlighting…)

(Of course, CSG says not to add all those individual parts, as they’re not splits decided by the composer… but… well… we someday need to figure out a solution…)

1 Like

Thanks, I gave it a try again and this time it worked like expected:

Thank you, your edit (#47732902) has been automatically accepted and applied.

Maybe a browser issue.

(Of course, CSG says not to add all those individual parts, as they’re not splits decided by the composer… but… well… we someday need to figure out a solution…)

Very valid point, looks like I didn’t see the wood for the trees :blush:

Part of a solution might be to introduce the possibility to mark existing work parts as “not intended by the composer / un-official” as an to-be-approved-edit. That would have to cause that those parts are no longer elegible as AR. Existing recording-of-ARs of such parts could then be hung to their parent work (part) by a database process automatically.

There isn’t really a need for that; just merge the works. That should automatically change the recordings to use the correct work too (though I guess it won’t set “partial”. And I guess maybe it’ll sometimes need manual help when that results in duplicate ARs).

But I think we’re more or less leaving them alone until we come up with a better solution. Pretty much every recording does split up Mahler’s 8th (and many other similar works)—and it’d be nice if we could record those splits properly… E.g., it’d be nice if there was a way to answer, via the MB database, which track on release X contains a given bar of the symphony. Or a part of the libretto. Someday…

1 Like