How to credit "vocals engineered by"

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fbb46cacfe8>

HI, I suppose to know the answer, but I thought about it…
how to enter “vocals engineered by” into MB?
It’s possible to select a sub-category of vocals. In my case there would be (at least) lead vocals, background vocals and choir vocals. Should I enter all of these? It would be accurate.

For

a guitar solo and various vocals were recorded in a separate session …
“vocals & guitar engineered by …”
1 Like

Who “vocals & Guitar” engineered by? Linking the edit is confusing without those details

I would just select sub-category of “vocals” as they are clearly engineering all of the vocals. Personally I’d see naming each item as clutter.

… engineered by Chris Bittner and Mike Birnbaum (misspelled as Birbaum)

There are details: Alex Gopher is mainly DJ and mixer. For the track Time there were additionally various vocals and a guitar solo recorded. Engineers on this recording were these two guys (quite famous producers and studio owners - Applehead Studios).

So you would leave it without further details, probably. This is the release:

My problem is that on that release I can’t see the engineer credits as there are two pages of edits open. So I look only at the first track.

If he is Engineering the vocals, then it is clear he is Engineer [vocals]. I would only break down the multiple specific types if he wasn’t looking after one category. For example, if someone else Engineered the background vocals, then I would specify which ones he was dealing with separately.

If he engineered BOTH vocals and instruments, then I leave him as Engineer.

I only add the separate tasks if separate people are doing them.

1 Like

Vocals alone can’t be selected for engineer and that-like. Only a sub-category for vocals.

It was only guitar and not other instruments, performed by Alex Gopher. So it would be reasonable to credit Engineer [guitar], but the corresponding Engineer [vocals] is not possible, isn’t it?

Personally, given the absense of the exactly appropriate option, I would simply pick one of the options (maybe “other vocals”) and set the credited as field to “vocals”. I suppose you could add multiple relationships for each sub-type if you know it applies but that seems like overkill.

I agree it would be ideal if we could indicate generic “vocals” like we can for performer relations.

3 Likes

That’s it! That will do the job. Other vocals can be “credited as”. Thanks!

1 Like

Please add an annotation about it at least, so we can maybe find it eventually once we’re able to select just “vocals” and fix it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should I add the original credits or something like that: (?)
Engineer credits for track 1 should be:
Engineer [vocals]
(not possible yet due to interface restrictions)

1 Like

What you wrote sounds about right. You could add a “Sub-Optimal Credits” header, but I think that stopped being a mandatory thing we do like in 2010 :smiley: So as you wish with that (it sometimes does make things easier to find though).

1 Like