How to add this kind of tracks?

Hi.

Now it gets difficult for me :slight_smile:
This track:

1. Kesha vs. Cro vs. Max Herre feat. Philipp Poisel vs. Dada Life vs. Psy vs. Jay-Z & Kanye West vs. Skrillex feat. Damian Marley vs. Nightcrawlers vs. Jan Delay - Meine Zeit (Die Young Gangnam Style) [Mashup-Germany]

Track # is easy… but then…
I would’ve put this text as the track title:

Kesha vs. Cro vs. Max Herre feat. Philipp Poisel vs. Dada Life vs. Psy vs. Jay-Z & Kanye West vs. Skrillex feat. Damian Marley vs. Nightcrawlers vs. Jan Delay - Meine Zeit (Die Young Gangnam Style)

And then [Mashup-Germany] would be the track artist.

Do you agree with the above?

I am confused by your description.

The track title is: Meine Zeit (Die Young Gangnam Style)

The track artists are: Kesha vs. Cro vs. Max Herre feat. Philipp Poisel vs. Dada Life vs. Psy vs. Jay-Z & Kanye West vs. Skrillex feat. Damian Marley vs. Nightcrawlers vs. Jan Delay

Artist names are not left in the track names in the MB database as we credit the artists full.

What I don’t know is who are Mashup-Germany and how they would fit in here?

Edit: Ah, I see Mr Mashup-Germany is also a person. He needs to be shoved into that list as well if he also mixed part of the track. How is this credited elsewhere?

1 Like

Okay - now I see what you are asking. I found the track on YouTube

In the credits he says:
Mashup-Germany mixing:

Kesha - Die young
Max Herre feat Philipp Poisel - Wolke 7
Dada Life - Kick out the Epic Motherfucker
Psy - Gangnam Style
Cro - Meine Zeit
Jay-Z & Kanye West - Niggas in Paris
Skrillex feat. Damin Marley - Make it bun dem
Nightcrawlers - Push the feeling on
Jan Delay - Oh Jonny

So that means the Track Artist is “Mashup-Germany” (just like shown on YouTube)

Title is: Meine Zeit (Die Young Gangnam Style)

You then go to the Recording and add relationships to those tracks. I assume in this case the best one is a Recording Relationship of Samples Of and then point to the original source recordings.

Or just paste that list into the Annotation.

I believe you are only supposed to put the Source material into the Track name if it appears like that on the actual cover artwork. If you can show a scan of cover artwork with all of those names as part of the title, then you can enter the track like there. Otherwise someone will complain about ETI. In this example I have found a YouTube video from the guy’s own channel and he keeps it neat which usually implies “artist intent”.

2 Likes

Hi Ivan.
Thanks for partially confirming my initial intuition - track name and artist I got them right! :slight_smile:

As there’s no cover artwork for all those releases, I agree that all artists listed on DJ Morgoth’s blog page should not be in the title, but as you suggest, in the relationships.

It’ll be quite some work, but someone’s got to do it! :wink:

1 Like

What about using Type = mash-up?

But still: whether I use “mash-up” or “samples”, when I search for “Die Young” by Kesha, there are many possible matches (one also with the artist name written as Ke$ha)…

Quite difficult to accomplish this task?!

You are correct that these are more likely “mash-up”. But I understand your problem as trying to pick a match. It is impossible to know which recording was actually used.

What I do is open a different page in the browser and go find the original single. Find a 7" with the recording on. Or maybe find the original track on an original album. Click through onto that Recording and then copy the URL of that recording. This can then be pasted into the box in my image above.

To me, this is a much simpler way of selecting a sensible track that the mash-up was probably made from. The search box is too small and restricted to know what you are really doing.

Sometimes you can be lucky with the initial search and see Disambiguration notes of (original single) to help, but this is rare.

1 Like

This is the kind of thing I spend comical amounts of time on. :smiley:

With a track like that one I would certainly paste the full list into the annotation. That YouTube link is handy as he has credited them all in one place. A quick copy\paste.

2 Likes

Yes, agreed… but who knows if all other tracks have the same “schema” applied (Youtube video with full credits)?! :-/

You are right. That is unlikely. I think this one it the guy’s official channel, so he is having to put up the full credits. I am no expert on mash-ups but I believe that those people whose works he has mashed require the credits to be acknowledged. If it was a physical product then they would be listed on the cover of the CD.

1 Like