How does Musicbrainz handle translating the English strings into gendered languages?

I’d like to propose something about the MB translation. So, as you may know there are a lot of languages that are gendered. This means that words that describe a person can change depending on their gender, e.g. “composer” in French is "compositeur’ for men (masculine gender) and “compositrice” for women (feminine gender). Traditionally, in a lot of European countries the male form is used when someone’s gender is unknown or irrelevant, which I guess this is a totally fine practice and quite well accepted but given the fact Musicbrainz does have a separate field for artist gender, I think it would be a shame if the terms that describe artists didn’t change according to their set gender. Now, I do know that this may not be possible 100%, due to the fact MB has been designed with English -a non-gendered language- in mind and the fact that some languages only have male and female forms for their words, however I still think this is something that should be taken into consideration. I don’t want to go into detail and make this post too long but I think this can make the database more inclusive, especially for women and people who don’t identify as male of female.

7 Likes