How do I set the recording date of a track?

I’m cleaning up metadata on some of my compilations, but don’t understand how to do set the original recording date

Here’s an example from Heartbreak Hotel released on the ‘Elvis Presley Years’ https://musicbrainz.org/release/baecc478-7de0-4c13-99ac-a9476ee60c71

It’s a CD, released in 1991, Picard (2.6.3) is showing Original Release Date and Year as 1991
Heartbreak Hotel is track 12, and is listed as 'recording of Heartbreak Hotel on 1956-01-10.

Picard does not list the original recording date. How can I get access to it? - and set the release date?

Thanks
Dpr

Hello,

You will need to do some scripting inside Picard to display it.
Have a look on the below thread to see different examples: Original release date: Community opinion on how to handle the originaldate tag, first release date of release group and / or recording - #47 by Sophist

thanks.

Quite a read.
Can’t see how to display all the tags in Picard though. I have a lot of metadata turned on, but the variables / tags mentioned dont appear when i click on the track.

You can use the %_recording_firstreleasedate% variable. See the examples in the documentation:

http://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/extending/scripts.html#use-original-release-date

You’d probably want to use a script like this:

$set(originaldate,$if2(%_recording_firstreleasedate%,%originaldate%))

That requires the recordings to be used in the original release as well, but for the example you gave that looks good.

1 Like

Thanks.

I’ve got this as my script:

$set(originaldate,%_recording_firstreleasedate%)

$set(originalyear,$substr(%_recording_firstreleasedate%,0,4))

$set(date,%_recording_firstreleasedate%)

(I need to put in the condition handling for if the first release date is missing)

Tested it out on Release “Worldwide 50 Gold Award Hits, Vol. 1” by Elvis - MusicBrainz with Heartbreak Hotel. again. he database says:

1. My CD from 1991 is part of a release group that includes the vynl records released in 1970

2. Heartbreak Hotel was recorded on 1956-01-10 and released as a single on 1956-01-27.

My script results in:

1. Date = 1956-01-27
  2. Original Release Date = 1956-01-27
  3. Original Year = 1956

Overall, a good result and what it should be. I do not want Elvis showing up as 1991 music or 1970s!

Of course, this relies on good data in the database.

3 Likes

Is there a way to get back to the original recording and its metadata - in this case the release as a single? the release type of a single etc

i note that there is the ambiguity about subsequent releases might have been remixed etc.

Not automatically, but you can of course load the single and tag the file against it. If you always prefer singles you can also try to set “single” higher in Options > Metadata > Preferred Releases, and lower your preference for other types. Only makes sense of course if you don’t have all files for an album and cluster and lookup those.

Alternatively you can tag files as non-album tracks, that’s quite simple using the “Load as non-album track” plugin, which provides a context menu action. Won’t set you the release type to single, though.

1 Like

Thanks. I was hopeful of automation!

Is there a way of pulling out any other ‘groupings’ ? by groupings I mean that Heartbreak Hotel is part of Rolling Stone’s Top 500 songs? (might make a nice playlist etc)

is there a variable with the recording date for a track ?
If you look at Heartbreak Hotel, it has a date…

Have a look at the %_recording_firstreleasedate% variable in the Basic Variables section of the documentation and see if that’s what your looking for.

1 Like

Hi rd,

I’m looking for the actual recording date, not the release date. For example: 1991-11-21 from below:

or in the case of Heartbreak hotel 1956-01-10.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I don’t believe that there is anything in Picard that can provide this. It will likely need to be done using a plugin.

1 Like

so close, just need that variable!

You might want to comment on

2 Likes

Thanks for the link,

It’s really surprising that Picard doesn’t support this:

1. The MB database has this information already stored
  2. It’s a standard tag in MP3 ID tag land v2.3 and v2.4 (and yes there is some confusion),