Hovering over entities and display some basic data

Is it possible and feasible to implement a feature on the site that allows the ability to hover on a link to an entity (artist, release, work, etc.) and have it display some basic information about it like start date, area, barcode, release date, etc.?

4 Likes

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible - a different question is whether it would be desirable. One problem with hover interfaces is they normally don’t work at all on mobile, meaning you can’t really use them for anything very important or you’ll just make that important thing unavailable for mobile users. In that sense, I’d argue if showing this is useful enough we should have a different way of doing it, but I don’t know what that way might be :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This could be turned on and off according to user’s preference. Whether to make it the default could be discussed. A similar feature is in Wikipedia where hovering over a link to another page will display a short introduction of that article along with an image with an option to turn it off.

1 Like

Maybe just a user script works best then.

I actually thought about doing such a thing, some time ago.
But I never really did it. Other priorities.
But I really need those edit links as I often so many times: right‐click, copy, address bar paste, type /edit(s), press Enter.
As always, I would prefer it as part of the site. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would turn it off, but that is just my opinion.
We do have a hover feature. Or at least, in my pc browser there is one.

For example -
look at this artist’s relationships

If you hover over Jo, a little box displays Johan Nunez - Nunez, Johan (Belgium drummer). Displaying the artist name and disambiguation.
I would not be opposed to expanding that, such as to include location and date (Belguim 1988-)
but too much more than that and the user might as well just open up a new window.

3 Likes

That one is really just a title attribute in the HTML, not a “fancy” hover like the one used on Wikipedia, which is what I guess @Jeluang meant. See e.g.:
Peek%202018-12-12%2011-32

I think something like this could be cool, esp. once we’re able to show images for artists again, but even without that, it could still show CAA images for releases. @chhavi, maybe something to think about? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

which is something I turn off when given the option

1 Like