Hip-Hop Producer/Rapper Merges

Theres a number of examples of Hip-Hop Producers (or even rappers) who have two entries in MB - one for their legal and one for their performing name.

If they are only known for one performing name, surely we can just merge them and utilize the legal name field?

example:
Performer Amadeus - MusicBrainz
Legal Antwan Thompson - MusicBrainz

3 Likes

P: J.R. Writer - MusicBrainz
L: Juan Rusty Brito - MusicBrainz

1 Like

P: Freekey Zekey - MusicBrainz
L: Ezekiel Giles - MusicBrainz

1 Like

P: Jaheim - MusicBrainz
L: Jaheim Hoagland - MusicBrainz

1 Like

P: LVM - MusicBrainz
L: Lenny Mollings - MusicBrainz

1 Like

Assuming they don’t treat the two facets as separate and only rap with a pseudonym while only producing under their legal name, I’d merge, yes.

2 Likes

As long as it doesn’t impact findability - might have to add the ‘other’ name into the disambiguation, if it’s oft-used, or they’ll just be added again.

Aliases are great for making things come up in search. But for a casual user they just look at the search results and still don’t see a match to the name they’re looking for :thinking:

3 Likes

I personally might not merge, because if they start a new solo project under a different performing name, you wouldn’t have to split the Legal Name and performing name. that doesn’t sound super fun… :wink:

…unless, as Reso said above, both names are interchangeable.

can confirm, until I found the Direct Database Search function, I added artists left and right :joy:

1 Like