Hidden tracks covered at the end of a listed track after silence

As example what I’m talking about see track 11 on discogs: Esbjörn Svensson Trio – Good Morning Susie Soho (2000, CD) - Discogs
The identical release on MB: https://musicbrainz.org/release/8bd64357-07b5-4a23-914f-156637d27db1 is not split.
I could not find anything in the MB documentation that really helped with this issue. Any solution?

1 Like

It is not split into separate tracks on MusicBrainz because according to the TOC on the disc there are only 11 tracks. This is demonstrated by the disc id’s attached to the release. You can’t (and shouldn’t) attach a disc id showing 11 tracks to a release showing 12 tracks. Software such as Picard rely on matching disc id’s to look up a release for tagging.

I suppose that the the title of Track 11 could be “Reminiscence of a Soul / Dark Water” in order to show that there are two songs contained in the track.

3 Likes

I agree to this solution. There were long discussion how to enter hidden tracks correctly, without final decision. Some editors think, hidden tracks should also be hidden in the track list on MB, but at least the recording title should mention the second song.

It’s not convincing to me, here aren’t 12 tracks on discogs too.

There are still 11 tracks, but the last one consists of 2 songs.

1 Like

Perhaps a compromise like “Reminiscence of a Soul / Dark Water (hidden track)” would be better?

… and the additional information how long you have to be patient to hear the second song.

So it could also be: “listed title / [unknown] (hidden track)”

It’s not my opinion, and I would mention it in an annotation, not in the tracklist.

1 Like

only in an annotation, not in the tracklist :laughing:

No, it’s obviously not unknown.

1 Like

That makes perfect sense. Title could be “Reminiscence of a Soul / Dark Water” and annotation could include the sentence, “Dark Water is a hidden (unlisted) song appearing on Track 11 after a one minute silence.”

3 Likes

Sorry, but here: https://www.discogs.com/release/494507-EST-Strange-Place-For-Snow
and it better should be [untitled] instead.

[unknown] should be used if the track title is unknown to you and you find no prove that there is a title
[untitled] should be used if the track has no title at all.
See Style / Unknown and untitled / Special purpose track title - MusicBrainz

2 Likes

Ok, but could “Dark Water” be linked somehow to a work, as it’s also track 11 on https://musicbrainz.org/release/4ccd92e5-5a50-489d-b765-c7c49dc2ca09

1 Like

That’s probably where the title comes from.
You can - you should link the recording of track 11 to 2 works!

2 Likes

Also, if it is [unknown] or [untitled] (or [dialog]), I would be tempted to not include it in the track title at all, but only include it in the annotation, stating that it is hidden and appears after a period of silence at the end of the final track on the release.

1 Like

I have read that before my post.

1 Like

It’s actually not very informative regarding hidden tracks. :wink:

1 Like

Would it then be a ‘partial’ recording of “Reminiscence …”?
Actually it is not linked to any work at all.
As so many tracks are on MB. :thinking:

1 Like

Oh yes, and all too often the corresponding work is not yet available and has to be created first. I try to do so, but many editors do not care :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s partial. I would create/link two works with a specific order

1 Like