Help to find user id

This is infurtiating. Nothing here has helped me find my musicbrainz id.

I don’t have that long number at the end of my URL.

There’s no sodding ‘details’ button on my page.

I just want to upload my music. Why do people make everything so difficult???

Give us a link to your artist page and we’ll find the number for you.
(hint - it is part of that link)

Or what is your name in the main MB Database? Who are you?

The simplest way to find your MBID is tell us who you are and we’ll paste it here for you. :slight_smile:

(This place can be a bit weird and confusing when you first try and get your head around it… but that confusion is a side effect of how much information is cross referenced here)

Hello mate, thanks for your reply. Sorry for my outburst but things like this infuriate me. I only signed up because the BBC site wanted the ID. If an MBID is something that someone will need, why don’t the makers of the site make it abundantly clear and easy to find?

Anyway, in the end I just submitted my music to the BBC without an MBID. I guess on the database we’re called thezeroconditional?

Thanks again

1 Like

I understand the frustration - this place is WEIRD when trying to understand it as a new user…

I think the problem is you are not yet on the database. That is what is confusing. :wink:

You have created an Editor’s account only. This is what allows you to add stuff to the database.

Now login as “thezeroconditional” and look at the menus. See the one that says EDITING. Click on that and ADD ARTIST.

NOW you will come to life here at MB. THAT is how you add yourself to the database so the world can see you.

That will give you the following page to fill in.

Add in what you can, and ask for help if it is confusing. Make a separate post in this forum.

Ideally add lots of External Links to your Twitter, YouTube channels, and so on.

This Database World so there are some odd rules on how some data is added. And they can be mad as they are written by geeks. Once you understand it all it will make more sense :wink:

If all else fails, RTFM
https://beta.musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_an_Artist

1 Like

Maybe there needs to be a “BBC Introducing FAQ for Artists”? The current guides are written aimed at us collectors and listeners to music. If the Beeb sends artists in this direction there needs to be a FAQ aimed at Artists (I’ve added “BBC Introducing” added to this threads tags so that should draw more new artists here to the answers…)

Most of the people in this thread are actual Artists trying to work out how to add themselves to this database. Their heads are in creating music which means the documentation here is not written for them at all. The confusions in this thread are not surprising.

(Note to self: work out how to add FAQs… everything needed is already in this thread)

1 Like

There is:
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/BBC_Landing_Page

This is also being linked to by the BBC themselves in their e‐mails to artists, and @reosarevok links it all the time when people signing up for BBC ask about how to find their MB id to support@. It’s also been linked earlier in this topic.

4 Likes

Frankly, I believe that page is part of the problem. Those three notes in the middle break up the flow of the instructions and talk about finding the MBID on the Details tab before talking about creating an artist page. Instructions aimed at beginners need to be clearer and more structured than that.

My suggestion is to change that section to something like this:

Step One
Go HERE to register as a MusicBrainz editor.

Step Two
Now that you’re an editor, make sure you’re logged in and go HERE to create your MusicBrainz artist page.

Step Three
Look at the Details tab on your artist page to find your MBID.

5 Likes

Thanks Ivan, I appreciate your help.

2 Likes

I’m on the editing page. Can add our soundcloud and facebook link no problems, but it won’t let me type in our insta one for some reason. After the instagram.com, it won’t let me add ‘/thezeroconditional’. Keeps adding a bunch of forward slashes.

3 Likes

That appears to be a bug in the parser. If you go to a blank link line and paste in the full link https://www.instagram.com/thezeroconditional/ it seems to accept it.

EDIT: I’ve entered a ticket for this in the system: https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/MBS-10209

5 Likes

Hi. Could you find my ID?

@Annie_Balmori If the following entry represents you

Then your MusicBrainz artist ID is c402486e-385f-47da-8d82-c505c1eeb43d .

2 Likes

HEY FOLKS I CANT SEEM TO FIND MY Music Brian ID. can anyone help?

Have you got an Artist page on MusicBrainz?

3 Likes

Didn’t BBC shut this down?

1 Like

Please can someone help
Me Tom find my ID, I’ve followed all of the instructions on the thread to no avail, thank you!

Welcome! What is the artist you need the ID from? Are you sure the artist exists in MusicBrainz (not your editor profile, which is something different).

Hi artist name is whosalf, I’ve just been through the whole thing and registered as an artist, thank you

Click on your page: whosalf - MusicBrainz and you find the URL in the address bar is “https://musicbrainz.org/artist/57b0b0a5-20c7-4cd2-984f-a21c851afcf1

This means your Artist MBID is 57b0b0a5-20c7-4cd2-984f-a21c851afcf1 - the long number in the link.

1 Like

@Deleted_Editor_2381921 or also in the Details tab:

MBID: 57b0b0a5-20c7-4cd2-984f-a21c851afcf1

2 Likes