Help setting artist types?

Hello,

I have been going through some datasets and made a list of all artists that the BBC have images for but are missing some basic data:

• Artists without a type
  • People without a gender
  • Artists with Wikipedia entries, but no Wikidata ID

The fact that they have images, should make it easier to pick a type and gender - although we shouldn’t assume that the BBC got it right.

I have put them all in a spreadsheet:

This is a bit of me being a pedantic completist - not sure how useful it is!
Is anyone interested in helping me fix them?

Thanks!

nick.

2 Likes

Nobody interested?

Too boring?

Could I make it easier in some way - like adding Artist names to the spreadsheet?

It is probably just that all editors have their own things they work on. I might pick some up, maybe.

Anyway, I don’t much like messing around in spreadsheets. A report in HTML à la https://musicbrainz.org/reports would be much nicer to work with for me personally. And yes, the MB Artist ID column is a bit superfluous as the ID is listed again, as a link, in the next column. It would probably be nicer to have the name there. :slight_smile:

Thanks Freso.

I have added a Name column to the spreadsheets and hidden the MusicBrainz ID column (it is used to generate the links).

I don’t suppose there is a way of generating custom reports?

I have made some progress on this and have now assigned types/genders to the 1380 artists in my spreadsheet:

Excited to discover that you can insert images into spreadsheets!

3 Likes

These changes have now been submitted to MusicBrainz using my personal username ‘njh’.

All tidied up now! Phew!

5 Likes

Thanks for all your work on this! :raised_hands: :bow:

2 Likes

Nice!
It’s not that people don’t care, it’s definitely because we have our own ridiculously long to do lists… Keep it up!

I know I’ve mentioned it before but I think group tidying projects could be a great community building exercise @Freso

4 Likes