I thought I’d post my installation of a LocalCDDB for CDex.
Please remember I am a total noob in all this, and even now really had no idea of what I was doing - so any feedback comments are welcome.
Having been told MusicBrainz’s freedb was not supposed to be compatible with CDex - I had downloaded the actual freedb database - freedb-complete-20200301.tar.bz2
Put on an external (portable) HD, and on a whim tried to expand/unpack it on Windows 10 PC (not Unix/Linux) used 7-Zip.
Took nearly 12 hours to uncompress it (not a slow PC - i5-8400 cpu, 8GB RAM) - quick peek in the uncompress folder seem to show the same structure as the default LocalCDDB directory in CDex - C:\Users[UserName]\AppData\Local\CDex\LocalCDDB\
Let it run to uncompress.
By lunchtime today - 7-Zip had finally finished. Renamed the directory/folder to LocalCDDB and located it in the root directory of the portable HD - went into CDex as administrator and changed the location of the LocalCDDB to the newly extracted directory.
Lo-and-behold as soon as I put a CD in to CDex - it almost immediately showed the CD information - like I did a remote query with freedb, but much, much quicker.
This was so quick that I thought perhaps I put in a CD I had ripped before, and the info was already in the LocalCDDB.
Tried another - and the same instantaneous thing happened - which confirmed CDex was getting the info from the LocalCDDB!
It does work for me - and I really had no real idea of what I was doing.
Comments suggestions and corrections more than welcomed.
Thanks for your patience.