Help identifying packaging

Can someone help identify this type of packaging?

It is currently listed as jewel case, but it doesn’t look like a jewel case to me… it seems there’s some sort of external cover but I’m unsure about the packaging type.

Thanks.

1 Like

Looks like a jewel case with an o-card around it. Or maybe a slipcase, I think it is open at both ends but not totally sure.

The mock-up in the Audio Fidelity link show a slipcase, with it closed on the left. And a booklet. But the third photo on the ebay link shows it is open on the left side, saying O-Card to me.

So type will just be Jewel case.

Looking more on eBay, under Sponsored Links, there are loads in that range. All following the same style of packaging and high cost. I’m pretty certain it is just an O-Card with a cut-out to show the CD inside. That also makes me assume the booklet is held outside the CD case by this same O-Card.

3 Likes

I see a jewel case with no front cover booklet inside a cardboard sleeve or box, as you wish, containing 1 or 2 booklets (photobook), next to the jewel case.

Apparently.

As we don’t have multiple packagings, I usually set the outer-most part of the package, here cardboard sleeve.
And I explain the details in the release annotation.

3 Likes

As we don’t have multiple packagings, I usually set the outer-most part of the package , here cardboard sleeve.

I think I would go with the more ‘permanent’ part of the packaging. Slipcovers often get tossed, but the CD will always be stored in the jewel case, at least by most people.

4 Likes

But this slipcover is exactly what distinguishes this edition from the regular edition without slipcover.

2 Likes

Every difference between any two editions is exactly what distinguishes one from the other. And in this particular case, as far as I’ve been able to find, there’s only one CD edition of this release. So we don’t know if a slipcover-less release might also have a different barcode (or catalog number, or…).

That quick ebay hunt shows this is a SACD sold with fancy slip cover. I doubt it is sold without the slip cover otherwise you’d loose the booklets.

I agree with @Beckfield on this one, it is in a jewel case. A “carboard sleeve” is when it is a cheaper packaging without any plastic involved.

Cardboard/Paper Sleeve - “A sleeve made of paper, paperboard, or cardboard. Traditional packaging for records, also seen with CDs.

That does not really describe an O-Card.

(It would also help if terms like O-Card vs Slipcase were explained on that page as I never realised there was a difference… A slipcase is sealed at one end, an O-Card is open at both ends)

2 Likes

The release in question also has back+spine and tray (including spines) images, which AFAIK only occur with jewel cases.

Looks like jewel case is wrong both if we consider the external cover or not: according to Release / Packaging - MusicBrainz the correct packaging type for SACDs is Super Jewel Box.

@Antiguastrea - have a look at the photo. This is normal cheap squared cornered jewel box.

1 Like

I have SACD sold in jewel case.
They are not all in super jewel boxes.

2 Likes

And because of the construction of super jewel boxes, the shape of the back/tray insert is different:

Geez, I left that thing a mess, didn't I?
2 Likes

@IvanDobsky @Beckfield, if they ever release this album again, it could be in a simple jewel case.
It’s why I either use the outer packaging type (here, cardboard sleeve) or Other (with annotation or comment in both cases).

It is in a jewel case now. The slipcase\O-Card is just part of the packaging to hold the booklet and give a consistent marketing look. The CD itself is in a jewel case. The photos of the packaging types match Jewel Case more than cardboard sleeve.

If Slipcase\O-Card was a packaging type then I would understand your selection here, but it does not really make sense to me.

This is another one of those cases where Musicbrainz has a definition and the literally English Language should not override that. If I was being literal I could say “Plastic Sleeve” to describe the shrink wrap.

1 Like

I can sort of see your argument for “outermost.” Box sets tend to be done that way, even if they contain jewel cases. But I don’t recall seeing single-disc releases with slipcases/o-cards (I’m going to just use “slipcase,” but consider it interchangeable with “O-card”) done that way. I think, in the case of box sets, the “box set” aspect is the more useful piece of information. I don’t think that’s true in a single-disc + slipcase release.

2 Likes

In this specific case where the booklet is oversized and therefore outside the jewel case and that there is a cut through effect, makes this outer cardboard even more important than usual.

And in general:
I often buy second hand, or find stuff in trashes or on the floor. It’s important to know if I’m having the full packaging, and I don’t always have scans.
So the meta data is there for this.

Some releases only exist in jewel case with slipcover, some exist both with and without.

In any cases I want to know what does exist and what do I have, without relying on CAA (I rarely scan), just meta data.