Get correct release year for Big Band tracks

I have some music tracks from the 30’s and 40’s…

For example -
Artie Shaw & His Orchestra - Begin the Beguine.mp3

I am trying to figure out if music brainz can find out when this track was originally released…is this possible ? I know it can find release year for the compilation CD, but it seems silly to say that this piece was released in 2007 (or whatever year the collection of 'Big Band Hits" was compiled …

According to Music Tsort the release year for this is 1938…

Thanks !

@kappclark, Check this out https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Artie+Shaw+%26+His+Orchestra+-+Begin+the+Beguine

This partly depends on whether MusicBrainz knows the original release date, which for a lot of older music like that it doesn’t. You can add it, but even then it’s kind of tricky because if you can’t prove it’s the same recording there’s no good way to link the compilation to the original except maybe through the work. And particularly in this era, the same recording could be credited several different ways, making nailing down the specifics even harder.

Short answer: there’s no easy way. a search by recording title or artist might be your best bet to see if it can be found in MusicBrainz.

4 Likes

Thx - I kind of figured this — so many ways to catalog – I was hoping something about original year field would auto-populate…

Google is a very good friend, @Llama_lover !

Now - since we are talking about tagging, I cannot figure out how to get artwork to automatically get embedded with the track – even if it is not the original artwork, but the cover of a compilation …
***************************************** UPDATE ******************
** I guess it works – I just loaded the modified files into Puddletag, and most of the files have artwork, pulled from the compilation CD – which is fine (ex. Frank Sinatra - The Columbia Years) … 1993 …I can clear the year field … making progress here – maybe I can get MusicBrainz to IGNORE the year field ?