First The Wall CD release Made in the UK

It may be starting to get a little warm in The Wall Release Group. VERY liberal usage of Napalm :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: being applied. Too many releases with the same 62 DiscIDs attached from the pre-NGS era. Some of these are over a minute out! Thinning down a few more of the obvious 1994 and 1980s releases to DiscIDs closer to what they should be. Only hitting the known knowns and not the unknowns.

Will be quitting soon for New Years Eve celebrationsā€¦ but a nice New Years Eve burn seems right.

1 Like

You will not look for a CD cat# if youā€™ve got the release in hands and these numbers are the same for all versions with this release cat#. They should better go to the annotation.
BTW, you will not find your release because itā€™s the one with misspelt cat#s :wink:

1 Like

Fire at will! :laughing:

Now I will be quitting for New Years Eve celebrations tooā€¦

2 Likes

On the desk in front of meā€¦ found it.

Confusedā€¦ I canā€™t see a typo? Just checked them again. Also match the Matrix cat nos.

I guess thatā€™s the one:

CDS instead of CDP

EDIT: Ahh! thatā€™s the reason why it sorts different!

1 Like

I looked at those number loadsā€¦ and just noticed the letters 2 seconds before this post appearedā€¦

Was right in the annotation. :rofl:

S for Swindon and Specialā€¦ or just Stupid. Something like that :rofl:

1 Like

Thereā€™s even another Japanese (or German?) CD split from the 80s which is slightly different to the one youā€™ve already linked:
Disc ID ā€œPlNDJUREv9CJfL04jUsktvrBogY-ā€ - MusicBrainz (CD1) & Disc ID ā€œAEQhTpkuTd7kcFpC_4GYKqaf.Bk-ā€ - MusicBrainz (CD2)
It appears e.g. on The Wall (made in Japan, printed in Holland) which I have at hand.

2 Likes

Always interested in the splitsā€¦ I had noticed a few other variations over the years. I had spent a lot of time on this before as I was trying to untangle the recordings to better group them when I noticed the problem with Young Lust.

Yours is a Toshiba pressing. That TO in the matrix.

Only a couple of seconds here or there different to my 1987 Swindon CD. Though track 2, CD2 is six seconds out. I had spotted that release before and therefore aligned the recordings with the rest of the 1980s CDs.

What I like about this is it shows us the history of how Swindon learnt their trade. The Japanese engineers over here showing them how to do the job using their masters.

1 Like

I changed the date: https://musicbrainz.org/edit/95755237

Both releases (printed in Swindon and Uden) with barcode are now 1987. There are no Swindon made discs released in 1986 now, but itā€™s possible, that there were none.
The release dates of versions without barcode may be earlier, but it is not good to give a guessed date and there no reference for 1986 (only known for a release with Japanese discs)

+++++

These releases (CDS or CDP 7 46036 8) have the same cat#s CDP 7 46036 2 and CDP 7 46037 2 on discs (regardless of black and silver):
ā†’ The Wall (made in Japan) 1984
ā†’ The Wall ā† to be merged
ā†’ The Wall (West German SONOPRESS) 1985
ā†’ The Wall (made in Japan) 1985
ā†’ The Wall (made in Japan, printed in Holland) 1986
ā†’ The Wall (made in the UK, printed in England) 1987
ā†’ The Wall (made in the UK, printed in Holland) 1987
ā†’ The Wall (made in Holland, no price code)
ā†’ The Wall (made in Holland, glass mastered in UK by EMI Swindon)
ā†’ The Wall (made in the UK, printed in Holland) ā† unknown, possibly 1986

All these should either have all 3 cat#s OR only the release cat#. Currently itā€™s mixed. I would still prefer only the main number with the disc cat#s noted as annotation.

3 Likes

Your pattern spotting is pretty safe. Iā€™ve added a few of these myself to put in that general pattern of the earlier CDs. I like the idea of having some early examples of each manufacturer to show how history expanded. I also agree with your date theory here as it fits other research I have done before.

I wish I could find my old list of ā€œthe first Japanese CDsā€ as it is pretty interesting as to the order they did the Floyd CDs in. WYWH was before DSotM on the Japanese presses. And then those Japanese masters are the ones that spread to Germany\Swindon\USA\Austria for their first pressed copies.

Iā€™d also put money on the Made in Holland being 1990ā€¦ have you also noticed that all those 1994 ā€œremastersā€ of Floyd are 1994 - specifically that year they started changing the pressings and added the IFPI details. Personally I think a lot of that timing is not totally surprising. A Floyd reissue being a good cash-in to pay for some of those upgrades whilst also tying in with the Division Bell releases.

Some editors will put in all the cat nos so they appear on the search. I would lean towards agreeing with them. When it is just a couple of CDs I can see the logic to this.

I donā€™t know if I can be of assistance, as Iā€™ve got a 1994 or later release from the USā€¦ I will try and find a matching release, as the one Iā€™ve got in my MB collection is obviously not the one in hand, lol

edit: scratch that, seems mine might be from 2004ā€¦ adding it to MusicBrainz now, Iā€™ll link it to maybe protect it from The Flamethrowerā„¢~ :fire: :fire: :fire:

edit 2: this is my version, adding Disc IDs momentarily~ I tried to use the right recordings, specifically the disambiguated tracks 1.4, 2.5, and 2.6

3 Likes

Getting more reference discIDs from the left side of the pond is real useful. Thanks.

Linking the recordings is mainly going to be about following a release from post 1994. Iā€™ll have a closer look end of the day.

That protection is not about Discogs. That is more about an editor saying ā€œthis is my copyā€ and not just being one of 64 discIDs added to a release blindly by a computer. You have just provided a flame retardant jacket for your discID. We now have a Columbia\Tecnicolor\Cinram CD to refer to.

2 Likes

Would be interesting for me too.

Iā€™ve got a revived list of the Japanese discsā€™ releases:
ā†’ The Wall (made in Japan) 1Ģ¶9Ģ¶8Ģ¶4Ģ¶ ā†’ 1986 PFA 2nd UK issue CDP 7 46036 8
ā†’ The Wall (made in Japan) 1Ģ¶9Ģ¶8Ģ¶5Ģ¶ ā†’ 1984-09 PFA 1st UK issue CDS 7 46036 8
ā†’ The Wall (made in Japan, printed in Holland) 1986 PFA 3rd UK issue CDS 7 46036 8, Printed in Holland by EMI Services Benelux B.V. Uden (PFA no date)

I donā€™t agree. I would like to have guidelines like that:
2. Many releases feature two or more catalog numbers. In general only release wide cat#s should be added. Additional cat#s for parts of the release (discs of multi-disc releases or labels of vinyls) should only be added if helpful for distinguishing releases.

In case of the releases listed above, itā€™s not helpful at all. The releases have different release cat# (CDP and CDS), but all discs included have the same cat#s. Itā€™s much harder to spot the difference if all are listed.

Delete them and see if anyone shouts at you.

1 Like

ā€¦thereā€™s a flaw: the 3rd issue has no ā€œ1ā€ printed on the spine of the back inlay. Iā€™ve found a Discogs version, but at least no UK version in the PFA. https://www.discogs.com/release/16033099-Pink-Floyd-The-Wall

the real 3rd issue is probably this one: https://www.discogs.com/release/12226576-Pink-Floyd-The-Wall (currently not on MB)

But if I look at the matrix codes, thereā€™s a wild mix of all variants in all these releases. The only thing I can glean is that CDS seems to be more rare on later releases while ā€œTOā€ at the end appears more often on later versions.

TO is Toshiba. I know that for certain.

The ā€œwild mixā€ of matrixes is not unusual on Discogsā€¦ when so many editions of this Release, no one is going to be watching them all. Some of the reason I donā€™t have the head to deal with that kinda mess tonight.

Unless I see artwork, matrix and discID added by one source in one place I canā€™t trust it and we can only make an educated guess. The artwork we have is a mish-mash of sources.

1 Like

I think this is one of them: 35DH 1.

Taken from:

1 Like

That list is part of it. I also found that on a web search. But I had one before that was much longer. It went on long enough for Dark Side of the Moon to pop-up. Was something like the first 100 CD release.

I do laugh at that list Lazzlo list. Down the bottom of the page it include The Nolans. I hope the Japanese will forgive us for that oneā€¦ :joy:

maybe another thread, but how do you rip and encode this? one single flac with an embedded cue file/playlist? or each track in its own file and hope they play seamlessly?