Feedback and support thread for the Pulsewidth a-tisket instance

@UltimateRiff, thank you for the warm welcome!

If I understand correctly, the source code of A-Tisket is actually not public and available for forking and extending its fuctionality?

Thanks for that userscript repo link, I’ll research what is already available

The A-Tisket creates a dynamic URL for the Apple Music cover image which instructs the Apple’s image servers to actually resize the image to the highest JPG quality (100). Example for one album:

A-Tisket outputs this link: https://is2-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music122/v4/e3/3e/0e/e33e0eae-1a23-2693-1341-338c0cbeba01/196589189479.jpg/9999x9999-100.jpg → the filename pattern here (9999x9999-100.jpg) actually instructs the image server to provide a JPG format image (original could be PNG too) with the highest resolution and the maximum JPG quality (100). Alas you get the (quality) resized image

The actual source file link is this: https://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/063/Music122/v4/e3/3e/0e/e33e0eae-1a23-2693-1341-338c0cbeba01/196589189479.jpg

99% it will be the same as IMU resolved link, but I have found another link format which works if the IMU one doesn’t…

Yes exactly, some covers are PNG and most scripts I’ve seen (apart IMU) use the same link modification as A-Tisket, pushing the image server to convert PNG to JPG

2 Likes

It gets even juicier: some releases have TIFF images for covers, but the Cover Art Archive doesn’t support those yet unfortunately.

2 Likes

Ohh? Tnx for a headsup. I didn’t know about the existence of TIFF covers but it makes sense, it was a default output format from many desktop scanner software for quite some time

1 Like

Maybe this was mentioned before but with all the issues concerning UPC codes for itunes, this userscript for coverart can somehow extract direct links to art from itunes and those links always shows an image that has a filename that contains the exact same UPC code as the release somehow: https://github.com/ROpdebee/mb-userscripts#mb-enhanced-cover-art-uploads

Maybe this website could utilize this method somehow to fix the extraction of UPC codes?

1 Like

not all cover art links contain UPC codes

1 Like

Most don’t. However, all pages have the UPC located by searching the “view-page” source for “UPC”. I just use the Toad King script on the Apple Music pages and then add both the Apple Music ID AND the barcode. If both are there, than it will minimalize mistakes. If you don’t include the barcode, it’s very likely you’ll pull up either Spotify or Deezer or both in addition to the Apple Music release, even if they aren’t the same, which would be incorrect. So, it’s very important to have both in the field now.

2 Likes

I’m talking about releases where you know both the itunes and spotify links but the website can’t see the barcode of the itunes release and it just says “undefined” which means it warns you for adding them to the same release but then you check the cover art thing and there it is.

Never rely on a-tisket to find the Apple Music barcodes at all. Currently it can’t most of the time. When it does, it’s relying on the image name, exactly as you suggest. That’s what it does. But that is the old way for Apple releases. The easiest way is just to use the Toad King script and manually input it. Double check any iTunes release that a-tisket gives you by verifying the barcode this way. Because it sometimes gives you a different release than the Spotify/Deezer. I always add Apple Music releases before Spotify or Deezer, this way you know before hand. Input BOTH the ID & barcode given by Toad King script. If you are running Spotify/Deezer, remember to check the omit iTunes box at bottom of atisket to avoid the undefined error or UPC mismatch errors, etc.

This will give you the correct barcode to input into a-tisket 100% of the time.

6 Likes

Hi,

I really like the script and use it quite a lot.
Currently I’m working on a script for myself to import all songs from a spotify playlist to MB. I do this by checking if the spotify album url is present in a release. If it is not, that means the release is either not in MB yet or that the spotify album url is not present in the release. In the latter case it would be really handy to have a link to quickly add the spotify (and apple, deezer) urls to the release, similar to how you can add the urls to the artist with one click.

Is this something that is doable?

Best regards,
Tony

Please don’t. Spotify playlist are not allowed on MB unless you can prove that’s just how it’s released by an independent artist as an album. If you just meant a Spotify release, that’s what a-tisket already does. You can’t just add an URL without using the release editor and just adding it. There is a script to add multiple URLs at once while in the editor (https://github.com/ROpdebee/mb-userscripts - see MB: QoL: Paste multiple external links at once at bottom)

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

I think I was not exactly clear: I don’t want to add the playlist, but all the releases that are in the playlists.

An example of a link that I’m talking about is this: Log In - MusicBrainz

It could be placed in ‘VENDOR IDS:’ part of the form.

Best regards,
Tony Brinks

Greetings. I dunno if it was discussed before, but anyway - is it possible to “expand” a-tisket to services like tidal or may be yandex music or may be some others. I mean “expand” at least in terms of pasting starting album link. The reason i am asking this because recently both spotify and deezer started to give me “Service is not available in your country”, so i cannot even find an album to copy its link and paste in a-tisket. I am using Tor so far to access them, but this is a so-so variant as you understand. Would be glad to hear an alternative way to find starting album link.

Technically - no problem. But as far as I have found out so far, a-tisket code is not publicly available so we could extend it.

1 Like

It used to be, but the link went down and atj had to resurrect it from a locally-stored copy.
That’s the only way forward I see for the tool; other users have offered to maintain it, and have requested a copy of the source code so they can do so, but so far their requests have fallen on deaf ears.

1 Like

is this project open source?

I looked up an album earlier. https://atisket.pulsewidth.org.uk/?preferred_countries=GB%2CUS%2CDE&spf_id=1xtaONLuwdb5STNnLGNVGi&preferred_vendor=spf

Question \ Request. Can some warning appear on screen next to “Release date 1998-10-01 [Deezer]” which warns that “Deezer came online 2007, so this date cannot be trusted”. As start dates for Deezer, iTunes, Spotify exist can these at least be used as a cut-off point for the release dates that appear?

I realise it is not bullet proof, but would be a helpful warning for people to remember to check and not upload duff dates.

As a test, I clicked Upload on that example and it gave me lots of 1991 dates… some of those countries didn’t even exist in 1991, let alone a useable Internet. :rofl: Imagines trying to stream an album in 1991 :zzz: :zzz: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I think I found a small bug:

If I want to add My Way by Usher via https://atisket.pulsewidth.org.uk/?spf_id=0fQdoem8dnrl80YcZzQ8f0&preferred_countries=GB%2CUS%2CDE%2CNL it gives the wrong track count for Itunes (26 instead of 10).
I guess it’s because on the iTunes page, there is a ‘other version’ of the album listed with 16 tracks (10 + 16 = 26).

You need to enter the ID of the Apple Music/iTunes release you want in those cases. If you’re going off just a UPC/EAN, the iTunes API will return the combined tracklists of all versions of the release you’re looking for.

AFAIK the source was available at some point, but it has no license applied, so technically most part of it are copyrighted by the original author and not open source. That’s why the source is kept private currently.

2 Likes

Ok, didn’t know the API worked like that.