I am very impressed by the kind responses of so many people. Well, I have never posted to the forum so far. Thank you all!
The release I am asking about is:
In this Bee Gees release group there are 4 releases, not to mention that there is also a release group “Spicks & Specks”. This release is most recent and has 17 tracks. It contains 12 recordings (in the same order) from what I believe is the original 1966 Australian vinyl record issue, plus 5 additional.
Hi IvanDobsky, that may be exactly the case. I thought that submitting the ID automatically adds the track lengths, which apparently is not true. Now that I looked, the additional tracks had ??? lengths. Per your advice, I set the durations about an hour or so ago. EAC still does not identify the disc. But again, these are now new edits that might be awaiting validation. I will be checking and will keep you posted. Thanks for the idea, I hope this is the problem!
Edit #91530279 - MusicBrainz has been applied, so I’d try again. If it works, we can probably conclude that EAC lookup relies on the track lengths, so just attaching a Disc ID is not good enough for EAC.
Kinda makes sense that EAC was double checking the lengths. The main key here is if you didn’t have any lengths on the Release then the discID would have been auto-applied. As there was some data, the discID was waiting to be manually applied.
@IvanDobsky Thank you for responding so promptly. I am using Musicbrainz. Same thing happened before. The disc would come out in Picard, but not in EAC. It did show up after I posted the request, maybe someone (you?) expedited it.
There are some people who are “Auto Editors” who can expediate some edits. They don’t trust me with those buttons. But I didn’t think it mattered to EAC. Then I re-read this thread. (Actually, this time it is different as your track lengths are applied already)
Actually, re-reading the old thread, this is exactly what happened. There is a slightly different release of the same CD, which I used. When I saved it, Picard would load the release I entered, but only the lengths of 4 tracks showed up.
I have had this issue at least five times in the last year. My fix in EAC was to select cuetools instead of MB. I will look at the track length issue next time.
Edit: I got to thinking and this only happens (to me) after I added the discID using the Python tool isrcsubmit. I only add discIDs using isrcsubmit since I also submit the ISRC’s. I do not think isrcsubmit has anything to to with the issue, I always thought it was a timing or caching issue since I rip with EAC right after.
In my experience. EAC immediately reacts to the submission of a new release with Picard, by making the CD tagged available for ripping, including the track lengths. The only issue I have encountered is the one in this thread.
I know I will sometimes swap from one addon to the other due to only one of those EAC addons reacting instantly. I just can’t remember which is which.
My CD ripping routine starts on Picard to upload the discID, then swaps instantly to EAC to rip. It is odd that you are seeing this issue. I assume it works fine now? The edit has been applied by @chaban
I have no automatic transfer between the apps. I just mean if EAC don’t find a disc, I’ll use Picard to upload it, then I manually swap back to EAC to retry the lookup. I’ve never seen a delay in adding a DiscID but also know only one of the EAC Addons is instant.
I only add discIDs with isrcsubmit so that I can add the ISRC after that. All database work is done through the browser, Picard is only used for the “final” tagging, not for lookup (I already have the release MBID embedded in the comment tag). My workflow is to add the release if it does not exist (with or without track lengths), add discID, add ISRC’s, rip using EAC. If the correct release is in the DB but has no discID, I add the discID and check to see how close it is. When the MB EAC lookup fails I lookup the release in the browser, check the discID, then rerun isrcsubmit to check that everything is correct before retrying EAC MB lookup, then switch to cuetools lookup. So, everything is correct except EAC does not get a match from MB, I did not look deeper since I wanted to get my work done. Next time I will dig deeper.