Eretcia Studios = RCA studios, Rome?

I just added an Ian Dury 7’’ " Reasons To Be Cheerful, Part 3". When I had a look at tthe recordings
I found this:

Vollbildaufzeichnung 02.05.2022 174605

Recording studio for both songs: Eretcia Studios. On the 7’'s from 1979 the recording studio is credited as “RCA studios Rome”. When you google Eretcia Studios you only find 137 hits, most of them related to this song.
So I’m not sure if this name is really correct (137 hits for a RCA studio is not convincing).
Wouldn’t it be better to merge this studio with RCA studios Rome and add Eretcia Studios as an alias?

1 Like

If it was called Eretica at the time they did the recordings, it make sense to keep the name. At least as a Credited As. Other tracks were also recorded there.

Which RCA studio do you think it is? Linky?

I got my info from Wikipedia… let me go check up on it.

Info came from here: Reasons to Be Cheerful, Part 3 - Wikipedia

The Wikipedia pages for Ian Dury seem to have a lot of work done on them. Lifted from various biographies. Is that the same as RCA Studio Rome?

1 Like

Here It’s called RCA Italiana Studios, that’s a variant of RCA studios Rome

Just the B-side of that single, that’s all :wink:

I don’t know which studio, so agree that a merge to RCA Italiana Studios - MusicBrainz makes sense. As long as they both operating in that year.

As to other tracks - I saw implication that “Sueperman’s Big Sister” may have been the same place. Was a few months back so can’t remember all the details.

(Sorry - have an idiot on the phone here… can’t focus fully)

1 Like

Quick edits been done to the places before the merge it will keep the “credited as” now post merge.

Thanks for spotting this one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for being so fast :wink:

1 Like

The guy I have on the phone is in hyper mode making me hyper. But also really bored so rather focus on this than him… :rofl:

1 Like

Done: Edit #89288133 - MusicBrainz

1 Like

I was just about to push the button, too late thx :wink:

1 Like

Told you this guy had me hyper… and bored… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I tried, and failed, to make sense of Wikipedia’s history. I think Eretica has come from one of these two sources.

• Balls, Richard (2000). Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll: The Life of Ian Dury. Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-1849387729.
  • Drury, Jim (2004). Ian Dury & The Blockheads: Song By Song. Sanctuary Publishing. ISBN 978-1860745577.

Could easily have been a badly remembered name for the place. Or the name of the local bar.

2 Likes

Yes I found something like that per googling, a story told by Ian or a member of the band. I really don’t think that the studio actually ever had this name.

1 Like

Really interesting!!

I think change it and then the main thing is adding annotation/s and alias/es where appropriate. So it doesn’t just get changed back.

1 Like

Searching for “Eretica” is tricky as it keeps getting corrected to “Erotica”.

And what is Italian for Studio? Sticks Babel fish in ear… laughs. It is “Studio” in Italian

2 Likes

yes, it’s quite funny that this name doesn’t appear on the releases but in wikipedia. If you write an article for wiki about a song, you should at least have a look at the original publications :wink:

I did a lot of reading of the Wikipedia pages for Ian Dury and there are a LOT of details. I think those books have been heavily plagiarised by someone. Too much detail to be made up madness.

These musicians were too busy enjoying themselves and tend to forget the details when the books are written 30 years later…

1 Like

Beats a boring phone call!

4 Likes

Not sure if it solves the mystery, but I wanted to point out that “Eretcia” does look a lot like a mistyping of the Italian pronunciation of RCA, i.e. “erre-ci-a”. Perhaps that’s where it started from?

5 Likes

Interesting idea. Even more so if something had been dictated, or down a phone line with a dodgy accent.

4 Likes