"Eloquence (Deutsche Grammophon / Decca/ Philips Classics)" exists as label and as series. Shouldn’t we decide for one of both?

“Eloquence (Deutsche Grammophon / Decca/ Philips Classics)” exists as label and as series:

https://musicbrainz.org/series/615347e0-cc6c-4d4a-afd5-e1104f4d89f9

Shouldn’t we decide for one of both? For me it looks more like a series, espacially because several “real” lables are involved. What do you think?

This might be connected to some degree with this previous discussion:

2 Likes

IMO, Eloquence is a series and not a label. I did several edits into this direction and no one ever complained. Note that there is also the questionable label Australian Eloquence (EDIT: I moved all those releases to series Eloquence and a new series Australian Eloquence by now.)

For the case of “Deutsche Grammophon Resonance” mentioned by reosarevok: That case is a bit more complicated as the name “Resonance” is somewhat attached to the logo of Deutsche Grammophon, which might be interpreted as a new logo on its own. And in 1994 Deutsche Grammophon started to use a label “Resonance”, without the logo of Deutsche Grammophon.

The discussion never came to an ultimate agreement. The current status quo is that we have series and label in parallel. Also in this case, my feeling is more and more that “Deutsche Grammophon Resonance” (and all those parallel constructions like “Deutsche Grammophon Privilege”, “Archiv Produktion Privilege”, “Deutsche Grammophon Musikfest”, “Deutsche Gramophon Favorit”…) should not exist as labels.

3 Likes

Can I throw “Philips Classics/Philips Digital Classics” on this heap? I have always treated those as labels and not series, but according to the disambiguation it is still in the air.

1 Like

And I trow onto it The Bach Guild with/or Historical Anthology?
This release has HA credited with executive producer, which points to it being a series.
BG ‘sublabel’ @ discogs: https://www.discogs.com/label/247363-The-Bach-Guild
BG @ Facebook is described as ‘Record company’.

(Problematic release)

I did it!

2 Likes

Resurrecting this old thread because Eloquence as a label is back and has a number of releases associated with it. The label code given is 171, which is the same as Decca Records’s label code.

The label was created and the label code entered in this edit when entering this release. It says ‘see artwork’, but looking at the artwork for that release I can’t see the label code. Perhaps I’ve just missed it somewhere though…

The cover art for this Philips Classics release does have a label code on its rear cover though, and it’s LC 0305, which is the label code for Philips Classics: further evidence that Eloquence should indeed be a series rather than a label in its own right.

2 Likes

I’ve moved all releases that were associated with the Eloquence label to the Eloquence series and sorted out the releases’ labels.

I wonder if it’s worth leaving the Eloquence label in place with the disambiguation comment and annotation I’ve added so that editors know not to add releases to the release, or to add a new Eloquence label.

3 Likes