Duplicate Medium Titles

This release is a collection of two versions of the same soundtrack, both spanning two discs each. Should the two discs for each version have the same Medium Title (Nintendo Switch Version/Game Boy Version) or should they have unique names, like appending “Disc 1” and “Disc 2” to them so there’s no duplicate medium titles on the release?

2 Likes

The disc title should be what is on the disc or in the booklet. No need to add “disc 1” or “disc 2” on there.

Whatever is on the disk is the title, even if that is repeated on all the discs.

1 Like

It looks like the disc titles are from the obi, which lists both the version and DISC1/DISC2 per disc - https://ia801409.us.archive.org/1/items/mbid-5bf62727-f4c6-4b1b-a7ef-603da272866d/mbid-5bf62727-f4c6-4b1b-a7ef-603da272866d-25714924804.png

So are they fine as they are, or should DISC1/DISC2 be added to the titles for each disc? The style says not the add titles that are just CD 1/Disc 1/etc. but these have extra info in the names, plus the second soundtrack loops the disc numbers back to 1/2 again instead of 3/4.

1 Like

I can’t read Japanese. But if that OBI shows “Nintendo Switch version, Disc 1” then that would be sensible as a title. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would simply use and repeat Nintendo Switch版 and ゲームボーイ版 as I usually think those disc numbers are little bit redundant with our medium numbers and not really part of the title.

But it’s also ok to use:

Nintendo Switch版 :cd: DISC1

Like the tracklist.

As those titles are not consistent everywhere CD labels / back cover, you can do what you prefer.

1 Like

My main concern was having multiple mediums with the same title. Is there any guide on how to handle those, or would duplicate medium titles just be allowed?

1 Like

It’s not mentioned on the Medium page, so if there is an official guideline for identical disc names, I’m not aware of it. I thought there was a guideline that says to differentiate any identical track names in the track list of a single medium—such as by adding (II), (III), etc.—but I couldn’t find it with a cursory search of the wiki.

But, in this case, I think including DISC1 and DISC2 as in @jesus2099’s example is the way to go. Yes, disc numbers are usually redundant and they’re typically excluded from the title. This case is a little different. Think about it like this: If the title included the words “PART1” and “PART2” instead of “DISC1” and “DISC2”, the decision to include them would seem obvious. DISC1/DISC2 serve the same function in this case, since the disc number in the medium title is relative to a work. This also means that the relative numbers in the disc titles are not just a repetition of the absolute numbers that go in the Disc Number frame of the file tags: The title of disc 4 is ゲームボーイ版 :cd: DISC2. Omitting DISC1/DISC2 just makes the medium titles unnecessarily ambiguous.

4 Likes