Doubts about the DVD-A infos and consequent ripp choices

Hello to all,
I have a doubt about the ripp of audio DVDs and the related infos on MusicBrainz.

I take as an example the DVD-A “Discipline”, King Crimson, 40th Annyversary Series, KCSP8.
If I consult MusicBrainz (my usual reference), I find the exact release here
The release is composed by a standard CD and a DVD audio.
The CD ripp is trivial: I always use EAC and the Picard for the reference level tagging.
For the DVD-A ripp I use DVD Audio Extractor 8.0.0 (DVDAE), then again Picard.
With DVDAE I can choose whether to ripp the tracks contained in the AUDIO_TS folder or those present in VIDEO_TS.
I noticed that the tracks mapped in MusicBrainz are (almost) always those present in VIDEO_TS. However, I also know that in AUDIO_TS I usually find a subset of the same audio tracks but with a higher resolution, in the mentioned exemple 96kHz/24bit instead of 48kHz/24bit.
At this point the dilemma arises: what to ripp, VIDEO_TS (with exact reference in MusicBrainz but lower resolution) or AUDIO_TS (without references in MusicBrainz but with better resolution)?
And in return: why in MusicBrainz I find only the references of the tracks in VIDEO_TS? Since MusicBrainz is a “Music Encyclopedia” I would expect the focus on the audio tracks, or at least on both!
Even stranger that (but maybe it’s an editorial choice of these DVD-A) some tracks are found only in VIDEO_TS, in this case the “Rough Mixes” series.
Can anyone clarify the situation?
Thanks bye.

2 Likes

Mmmm, this is a case of a small percentage of a small percentage of listeners. In this case, an individual who maintains a music server and likes King Crimson plus listens to / rips DVD-As. You and I may rip DVD-As and then catalog the hi-res files, but we are a rarity, my friend. Since this is an open source type project, by all means please add the missing hi-res info in the disc entry. After all, this is a community, not just a free info service. If you see an error or omission, help fix it, please. Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like