Does Picard submit "user data"?

@outsidecontext: Could you please let us know if the current version of Picard does submit “additional user data” (1) to AcoustID?
If yes: which one does it submit exactly?
If no: is there a specific reason why not?

ijabz wrote some years ago:

(1) Example for additional user submitted data on AcoustID:
https://acoustid.org/track/7372c611-3154-4a15-9706-1218dcf1b4ab

No, it doesn’t. Not sure if it should. luks implemented this originally, and I thought he would know best what to submit to AcoustID.

I guess the reasoning would be that the primary goal of AcoustID is to have metadata from MB. If you have a recording ID that gives you the metadata, no need to submit it separately.

If Picard would submit it it would be the data that you see as “New metadata”. And most of the times this would be identical to the MB data anyway.

2 Likes

I completely agree with your mentioned use case.

What about this one:
You tag your tracks outside Picard - let’s say with Mp3tag and metadata from Discgogs.
Then you load such tagged tracks into Picard to get the MusicBrainz metadata too. But unfortunately they will not be recognized because this release doesn’t exist on MB.
Would it not make sense to submit the available metadata to AcoustID?

lukz write about the submission:

While you can submit a fingerprint without any metadata, it is not very useful to do so. If the file has embedded MusicBrainz tags, please send the MusicBrainz recording ID. Otherwise you can send the textual metadata.

Maybe. Not so much for Picard and MusicBrainz users, though. Picard for now cannot tag against AcoustID metadata alone. We have a ticket for that, and it might be nice to have. But in the end it benefits everyone most when we actually can link against MB data. Also user submitted data only in AcoustID is much more limited, and you get also some of the dreaded “unknown” artist, “track 1” entries. And that would probably even increase if Picard would submit the untagged files metadata also.

I think AcoustID was really created with MB in mind, while still being useful standalone in some way.

3 Likes