Disparity between "Guess case" and style guideline

The capitialization style guideline for short prepositions (Part 2c) doesn’t seem to fully match “Guess case” - namely the words cum, mid, off, per, qua, re, up are always set to upper case by “Guess case” and not lower as suggested by the SG.
I assume the documentation is out of date?

I think it’s more that Guess Case doesn’t know every possible word, just the common ones. Also it looks like you might need a Guess Case for Latin rather than English.

4 Likes

“up” is often an adverb or an adjective (and sometimes even a noun!), all cases where it should be capitalised. The same is true of “off” (often an adverb). So there’s no good way to guess those, and defaulting to the standard upper case seems reasonable.

I’ll venture a guess that the most common use of “cum” in English song titles is not as a preposition, but I’ll admit I haven’t checked.

All the rest are rare enough that they probably never got added to the guess case code. I honestly can’t remember ever adding a track using “qua” to MusicBrainz, and the few ones I added with “per” and “re” were actually in Latin, except for “36 Mesostics re and not re Marcel Duchamp”.

2 Likes

I like the idea of a latin Guess Case. (thought wouldn’t that just be sentence case?)

1 Like

Just to check my grammatical understanding of “Up” is correct:
Running Up That Hill (incorrect - Up should be lower case)
Pump Up the Volume (correct - Up should be upper case)

I think that’s right, yes.

Unless I’m missing something obvious, I believe I’ve found another. It appears “with” is automatically converted, incorrectly, to lower case when in parens, but is converted, correctly, to upper case when not in parens. As seen at There Must Be an Angel (Playing with My Heart).

I think this is intentional since the part in parentheses is treated as extra title information, for which other capitalization rules applies.

This of course breaks in cases where the parentheses are part of the actual title and should not be considered ETI.

2 Likes

The “with” inside parens is probably being incorrectly lowercased because they assume it is referring to a guest artist, and not part of the title.

i.e.
New York, New York (with Frank Sinatra)

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Capitalization of longish (> 3 letters) English prepositions