Different releases that appear identical with conflicting credits

I’ve got this CD that’s not in the database yet. However, it seems to be exactly the same as these two releases:

In fact, they even share the same disc ID.

However, there’s one thing that’s different between these releases: the two that are already in the database list Kurt Prestel as the conductor, while the one that I have lists Ernst Hinreiner.

I suppose that this could be just a mistake in the credits, but that’s hard to verify.

How should I handle this? Should I add Ernst Hinreiner to the recordings? Should I ignore him? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

1 Like

Alfred Schulz may be involved here from the Disambig for The European Philharmonic Orchestra.
Alfred brings with him a frequent deliberate misnaming of Artists.

At any rate your Release has different cover art (the attribition to Ernst H.) so it can be added as a separate Release.

Put Ernst as conductor on your Release entry and Annotate?

3 Likes

Alfred Schulz may be involved here from the Disambig for The European Philharmonic Orchestra.
Alfred brings with him a frequent deliberate misnaming of Artists.

Interesting.

Put Ernst as conductor on your Release entry and Annotate?

Yeah, I can do that, but I’d really like to link to the same recordings and those already have Kurt listed as a conductor, so that’d be kind of weird.

1 Like

This guy really deserves a forum tag of his own: #alfred-scholz :laughing:

5 Likes

Yes, do add your release with its artwork, and put it in the existing ReleaseGroup with the others, use the existing recordings, and add your conductor and orchestra to the artist relationships if you want to.

If you ever find the recordings which have a recording date and place printed on the release, they may be the originals. Otherwise they are dust.

1 Like

I looked a bit more at these releases, and found an annotation from @symphonick in release:26923e03-96a2-3da1-9038-7de5c20013b4 pointing to probably an original 1974 recording. The link to a review in The Gramophone has rotted (site moved, and archives are behind a paywall), but that led me to check discogs, and found similar (https://www.discogs.com/master/280720), which lists both Prestel and Hinreiner.

2 Likes

Oh wow, what a character :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for looking into this. I think I’ll just add Hinreiner and be done with it.

1 Like