Crediting question: Codona or Don Cherry / Nana Vasconcelos / Collin Walcott?

I stumbled upon the compilation of the three ‘Codona’ albums

now the artwork does not credit the release by the group name, it explicitly credits the trio as “Don Cherry / Nana Vasconcelos / Collin Walcott”. and i wondered, what we will do here.

My proposal would be to credit the release and RG under “Don Cherry / Nana Vasconcelos / Collin Walcott” but the recordings/tracklist on the discs still under “Codona”

what do you think?

full artwork scans (Release “The Codona Trilogy” by Codona - Cover Art - MusicBrainz)

1 Like

I look at that cover and wonder why they missed the chance to put them in the right order so it spelt CO-DO-NA

This kind of repackaging is tricky. Have seen it elsewhere too. Problem is it needs to be under “both” the band and the separate names. I can’t give a real answer as I don’t know these people. But the artists chose the band name. They released the albums as a band. This is the Marketing people \ label rebranding the boxset to be found under the three names. I would keep it under the band name - as the artists chose.

Should ask @zas to comment as they added the artwork and know the guidelines :wink:

2 Likes

As each releases were previously released under Codona, I went for keeping the compilation under this name rather than on 3 independent artists. That’s a long-term collaboration.
If we stick to cover art, I agree it should be “Don Cherry / Nana Vasconcelos / Collin Walcott”, as it appears. Though it would be inconsistent with previous individual releases.
What about crediting release/release group: Codona as “Don Cherry / Nana Vasconcelos / Collin Walcott” ?

6 Likes

For me it would feel kind of artificial. It would seem like a little workaround to surpass MB style and be truthful to the release.

But besides that i prefer the way you entered it. to me, it makes the most sense and besides that the artist name can be traced back to the title of the compilation.

It probably is known here, but just to point it out: Rateyourmusic ‘solves’ this problem by letting you decide if artists get credited in the RG or Release. If done so, the release will still show up in the discography of the uncredited artist.
Now i don’t think that is a solution, but it is an interesting approach to the problem.