Composer "Also performs as" regarding Tom Holkenborg aka Junkie XL

I have a question about this artist:

So far he is “separated” to real name artist (Tom Holkenborg) and alias (Junkie XL).

I see that most of his movie discography in MB is under his real name, while other is under an alias. In Deezer and Spotify for example he is presented mostly as “Junkie XL”, while in Tidal part of his movie discography is under his real name.

So the question is what name/alias to use here? At least for movie scores (since i am personally interested in this part). And what name/alias to use for composer credits (assuming that PRO data uses his real name for example).

Interesting topic!

What do you mean by ‘use’ here? You haven’t mentioned what you want to do anywhere in your OP. Do you want to merge the artists?

If you just want to author a new release, use whichever name is “on the box”, or coverart. I would stay away from using Spotify or Deezer as authoritative for artist credits in the presence of other sources. I’ve seen some weird things on there.

As for merging, I’m not sure. I mean, it seems like they’re using their real name mostly for movie soundtracks, at least for the releases on MB. But then there are also movie soundtracks under Junkie XL. Not sure what the distinction is here.

I just randomly clicked through to the Terminator: Dark Fate soundtrack

At this time there are two releases, one credited to the real name, the other to Junkie XL. The coverart credits the real name. Looking at the editing history in there, I found you in there changing credits from real name to Junkie XL for one of the releases, but release credit was reverted back to the real name (recordings are still on JXL). Have you read that discussion? It has some references to prior discussions as well:

https://musicbrainz.org/edit/104800475

1 Like

ooh, I didn’t know he got split again… I’ve been considering doing this myself for a bit, but never got to it.

I’d say use the artist credited. whenever Junkie XL (or a variant thereof, like JXL, J.XL, etc.) is used, use the first artist, and wherever his legal name is used, go with the second. lastly, when both names are used (like on the Deadpool soundtrack and others), I’d probably credit both artist names.

I still don’t get the whole idea of separating artists “per project”, assuming the fact that in PROs they are still addressed as a single person (even if their aliases divided on several IPIs). I had argues in the past with other editors regarding this matter, so i prefer now to create topics/ask others before merge/recredit anything.

My proposal here is to move all work credits under the same artist, while recording/tracklist can be under different aliases/artists.

It would be nice, if some experiencing editors could look into this and make some cleanup. :slight_smile: