Clone relations in Release Editor

Oh sorry, then my request is not relevant. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

HI @loujin - a bug report for you. Or just confused copying pixies

Err… had something WEIRD happen today. Edit #77612070 - MusicBrainz

I was in this Release: https://musicbrainz.org/release/83b6295b-b3ec-476b-aa47-5d3aa9c4e475 and wanted to copy the artist relationships of the recordings from this release: https://musicbrainz.org/release/424db76a-8604-4350-a50f-766f58570470

I went track by track, and use the edit box at the top of the page to paste in the URL of the recording I wanted to copy. In the Quad version, copying from the Vinyl version.

BUT something has reversed.

The “sampled by” became “samples of”. And “remixes” became “remix of”. i.e. the 1975 track was suddenly a remix of a 21st Century track and somehow using samples from music written decades after it. Time travelling… or accidentally reversal of reality.

I am fixing the errors now, but if you are quick enough you can click on the Quad link above and see the comedy in action as I now delete those unexpected relationships.

Oh, and this is still borked in my Vivaldi browser. I have to fire up Firefox to use it. Weird - some script buttons work, some don’t.

Looks like the script does not handle the relation direction (only a problem on recording-recording relations I generally don’t use)
I opened recording-recording relation direction is not copied in the clone rels script · Issue #28 · loujine/musicbrainz-scripts · GitHub that I’ll keep updated when I have a tested solution

1 Like

Yep, that is what I am seeing here…

I kinda guessed that is how it slipped past testing. Thank @drsaunde for spotting this. If I had seen these I would have removed them in the initial edit.

Thanks for your time saving scripts. :slight_smile:

Hi, @jesus2099, just noticed this script. Could I ask - can you modify it to make it work with recording-work relations. 99% of my working time in relationships editor is to manually assign/copy credits from recordings to newly created works. Such modification of the script would ease my life a lot!

1 Like

It’s a @loujin script. :slight_smile:

Can you give me an example? I’m not sure if you mean you want to copy an existing recording-work relation from a recording to another, or that you want to transform relations on an existing recording to the equivalent relations on the newly created work

1 Like

Ok. Here is the screenshot. Lets say i created a new release and assigned artists for the track list. Now i want to create new works for these new recordings and simply copy already assigned artists for the tracks to these new works (since mostly they are the same).

1 Like

Track artists are performers but what role do they have on works?
Performers are not always lyricists or composers of the works they perform.
And even if they are, you would have to say whether they are lyricist and/or composers, so, it’s not really a straightforward copy any more.

Also as you have already selected some artists for tracks, the last 10 artists are in your recently used artists drop down selector when you want to add a new work-arist relationship.

3 Likes

Coz i am working with soundtrack and production music, so in these cases its mostly the same people. +Also i am checking PROs.

And i know about recently used, but its still a double work to assign them second time + high probability of human error when many of them or large release.

Do you already know about PRO inaccuracy for work credits?

Yes, but we are going offtopic.

2 Likes

Sorry, as @jesus2099 said, there is no easy way to convert artist-recording relations to artist-work ones. If you know a bit of javascript and the MB relations model you can try to modify musicbrainz-scripts/mb-reledit-clone_relations.user.js at master · loujine/musicbrainz-scripts · GitHub to convert artist-recording link types to artist-work ones.

@loujin: IIUC, the actual idea @Darkloke needs is a way to turn track / recording artists into work composers. I guess you don’t have anything for that either? Track artist into composer might actually be useful for classical too sometimes, although I guess it’s often easy enough to batch-add.

Ah, I misunderstood then. No, I don’t have a script for that either

@loujin, sorry if i am being too persistent on this topic, but how hard it would be to create such script? It will easy my editing on MB a lot, that’s why i am so curious.

Not hard, but the problem is maintaining the scripts in the future, especially scripts I don’t have a use for myself. So just writing it now doesn’t mean I will update it in the future or fix bugs, let that be clear.

That being said, https://github.com/loujine/musicbrainz-scripts/blob/set_writer/mb-reledit-set_rec_artist_as_writer.user.js can copy recording artists to the related works as "writer’ relationships

6 Likes

Thank you, @loujin, but i have now rather a stupid question - how to use it? xD Lets say i have added a new release and now want to create new works and assign (copy using your script) writers there. I open a relationship editor:
https://musicbrainz.org/release/eacdecf4-22dd-42ad-94c5-5a6a93400051/edit-relationships
Now i select one (or all) recording(s), click batch-create new works and then click an “apply” button from your script to transfer writer credits? Or should i before using your script attach (by submitting) these newly created works to recordings to form a link between them?

Anyway nothing is happening for me either way. The only thing i see after click an “apply” button is editor comment: —
GM script: “MusicBrainz relation editor: Set writer relation from recording artist” (2021.4.4)

I am using tampermonkey on chrome if that matters.

Normally you should first select the recordings you want (with the usual checkboxes) then click Apply. But it seems the script is not working on the release you linked, because there’s no explicit artist credit in the recordings. I’ll have to find another way to find the recording artists

Edit: should be fixed now with version 2021.4.5. Note that the script will need 1 second per recording because I have to use the API to get the necessary info