Cleaning up DENONBU releases

DENONBU (電音部), or “electronic music club”, is an EDM and character project started by Bandai Namco, where various producers pitch in to make music for the fictional characters on their highschool clubs.

There’s something unique about how it attributes those producers though. It’s currently unclear to me how these are done.

As you can see, there is no coherent titling across the tracks, though that’s not what I’m here for.

How should the recordings with the Prod. titling be done? While it’s clear that featuring artists should be moved out from title and into the artist section where they can be attributed properly, I’m not sure how the same could be done for this one.

Should they just be stripped out and only attributed in work?

1 Like

Just to remind myself when I get around to looking at this thread,

1 Like

It seems that in streaming services such as Spotify, they’ve been listing both DENONBU, and the respective fictional character as artists, and it’s been making its way into MB as well.

on Spotify:

on Apple Music, Taku Inoue is attributed in title only:

In regards to artist attribution: Should it match exactly how the original says it is?

Take this example:

Hyper Bass
桜乃美々兎 (CV: 小坂井祐莉絵)、水上雛 (CV: 大森日雅)、犬吠埼紫杏 (CV: 長谷川玲奈)

Should there be spaces between (CV. and its voice actor, and should we use Japanese comma symbol?

You should use the Japanese comma. Fullwidth punctuation should also be normalized to half-width (without inserting whitespace).

I also think we should standardize Japanese anisong credits without whitespaces, even for Bandai Namco Arts (aka Lantis) who is currently standardizing around extra whitespaces. However, a number of editors insist on inserting whitespace even when there is clearly none.

I wrote a pair of taggerscripts to encourage people to focus on standardizing their own files rather than wasting time editing things back and forth in the server:

It would be nice if people could spend time adding (new) useful data rather than engaging in a tug-of-war over formatting of old standardized data.

2 Likes

In general, Spotify is a bad source for artist credits. All artists are joined by commas, and they do not have the concept of join phrases - not even for the common “feat.” join phrase.

1 Like

I’ll try and answer your questions in order.

I also second what yindesu said in their two posts, I started typing this up before they posted.

first off yes, always move “feat.” to the artist credit. not totally sure about “Prod.” but I see no issue with doing the same with that. I’m pretty sure “Prod.” is short for producer, and if so, you’d add producer credits to the recordings as well, of course.

the credits for lyrics and composition would apply to the work, but the arrangement credit generally applies to the recording.

There is a precedent for having a series which comes from anime and video game editors (and perhaps others), but in this case, it is a bit more redundant than usual. see also: K-ON! and Soul Eater, just off the top of my head.

I would agree with you that only the fictional characters should be members of the groups. in fact, they should probably be original members, if that applies. see also: Ho-kago Tea Time from K-ON!

I believe the difference between the Spotify and Apple Music credits is simply a difference with how both stores handle artist credits. generally, I take what I see in retailers and streaming services with a grain of salt, because there’s usually not much quality control there.

I don’t know if there’s any standardization for CV (character voice?) credits, I might slightly favor no space though. I would use the Japanese comma too.

Gotcha. I might do another sweep of cleanup later down the line.

I do think this should be standardized, though for now I’m keeping the whitespace since I’ve started the cleanup work with one already, thinking I’d follow ASOBINOTES/Bandai Namco to be on the safe side.

1 Like

I’ve asked members of the English DENONBU community to say what they think about it, and yeah, there’s no known intent behind the titling. It’s whatever the producer decides.

1 Like

Seems like they released a single for the intersection they used for the 1st live.

Apple Music: Intersection (Sho Okada Version)
Spotify: Intersection by Sho Okada
YouTube Music: Intersection by Sho Okada
Twitter announcement: Intersection by Sho Okada

The corresponding MB release was imported from Apple Music.

This is tricky, should it be “Intersection” with only Sho Okada in the artist attribution?

Maybe their text was in violation of Apple Style?
https://twitter.com/denonbu/status/1458459028632190978

【Apple Musicをご利用の皆様へ】

『Intersection by Sho Okada』
のApple Music配信に不具合が発生しており
現在ディストリビューターへ確認しております。
その他配信サイトはご視聴いただけます。

ご不便おかけいたしますが今しばらくお待ちいただけますと幸いです。

I have seen other cases where the release title or the album art is different on iTunes than it is everywhere else.

that is tricky, but it seems most of them credit both Denonbu and Sho Okada. I even looked at some of the other stores linked from the Twitter announcement. even the ones that don’t have Sho Okada in the “artist” field, they do say “by Sho Okada”, so I think that should be moved from the track title to the artist credit anyways, like we do with “feat.”