Clean versions of non-explicit songs

i was wondering about this recording specifically. it was not labeled as explicit anywhere but it does contain cursing in the first verse. this isn’t surprising, because it’s only once in the whole song, but there is a clean version that appears on a compilation. should i add disambiguation to the original to differentiate it from the clean? and if so, how do i label it?

1 Like

I would disambiguate both. That’s the standard for disambiguating Artists with the same name. Seems appropriate here as well. I think I’d just say “Explicit lyrics” on one, and “Clean” or “Censored” or “Censored lyrics” on the other.

(looks like the clean one has already been done)

2 Likes

I don’t see anything about explicit lyrics in documentation or style guides. Do you think it’s worth a mention?

2 Likes

It has appeared many times in forum discussion. Disambig is the best way, but it can be hard to really sort out as many VA collections won’t say. So you end up with three version - explicit, clean, unknown.

1 Like

Odd that it’s not marked as explicit on iTunes. But if you know for a fact that it is and that the “clean” version is different, it’s okay to mark explicit. I’d probably do both and mention it in both annotations as to why a release is marked explicit that’s not on the digital sources. I know you know that part, but I’d handle it that way.

4 Likes