Changing track / recording artist to release artist for doujin albums

Hello! I would like to invite others to share their thoughts on this, and perhaps vote on the related edit as well.

I recently made an edit to change the artist for each track / recording on this doujin album to the release artist. The reason being that there is no traditional indication of who is directly credited for each track, only specific roles such the arrangers and performers.

I’ve gotten some feedback on the vote, but I’d like to see more perspectives as well before the voting period ends.

The official homepage and cover art for the release are the primary sources of information for this edit. From what I can ascertain, neither sources outright state the dedicated artist for a given track, but instead state relationship credits for the recordings / works. Currently, the primary track artists are the arrangers, with vocalists and guitarist also credited by “feat.” on some tracks.

Now, typically with doujin albums, unless specified otherwise, the arranger is generally reponsible for “creating” the track (e.g. mixing, programming), and this is the case with this album since no mixing engineer was mentioned (I emailed Shibayan last week and he confirmed the arrangers are also the mixers in such scenarios). That said, they still aren’t directly credited for the track itself, at least not in any official capacity from the aforementioned sources.

What do you guys think? Im genuinely curious because currently the Shibayan Records discography on MusicBrainz is kind of a mess in this regard, with some albums having their tracks credited to Shibayan Records and some credited to the arrangers and performers.

2 Likes