Change Pig & Dan to Pig&Dan?

howdy I recently started cleaning up my digital music collection and have settled on a musicbrainz + musicbee combo. so I’m still learning the ropes for style/etiquette here

for this artist, judging from the links etc, it seems like “Pig&Dan” is the most proper/common way to format the artist name. some releases here and there use Pig & Dan or Pig and Dan etc though.

should I go ahead and change the artist name to Pig&Dan? and what about all the artist credits?

thanks!

3 Likes

On the track list you generally need to check what is written on the cover and follow that. Artists often change how they write things over the years, and you also need to be careful it is not just the graphic artist being funky.

Random example:

There are spaces in that name.

But also clearly their current style in social media and digital shops is without the spaces.

I would avoid a bulk edit. Just address it on a case by case situation. Especially as many of their tracks are going to appear on compilations where those CDs will have their own style.

Just fix the releases you have in hand. Safer way to do things.

(This compilation have in my hand now has a remix by them… and there are spaces in use on here)

3 Likes

I just submitted an edit to change the artist name to Pig&Dan, and left the individual artist credits as is

however, I just noticed the name was already Pig&Dan until someone changed it literally just a week ago, so we might have a conflict on our hands lol Edit #99550563 - MusicBrainz

5 Likes

I don’t really understand that other edit. The artist clearly prefers to not have spaces in their names. Especially noticeable on the current digital stores that their name is written like that - without spaces.

But sometimes the grammar \ formatting editors are a tough crowd to reason with.

Literally every place Pig&Dan have control of how they show their name there are no spaces. I’ve just looked at some of the links on the artist page. They are very consistent with their branding.

6 Likes

welcome to the forums~

I also believe the artists’ intent is to have no spaces, based on what you said and their social media accounts also having no spaces

I’ll also second going through the artist and changing how they’re credited case-by-case. I did that a while back with The O.C. Supertones, who aren’t at all consistent with their name, lol

also tagging the other editor, @SimonHova

5 Likes

I notice that last weeks edit changed EVERY reference to Pig&Dan. I did think your initial post was odd as I remember when this was shown correctly. Now all of those correct ones have gone. Puzzling.

3 Likes

It’s a pity that all of them were globally changed.
Usually it’s best to change release per release, because some artists have periods when they prefer different spellings of their names.

But as it was globally changed, maybe you could globally revert…

Are there more release with space or without space, in their discography?

1 Like

If you check the edit history of the artist the edit that was done last week did a global change. Their name has been very consistent over the years (back to MySpace shows a long time…). I think this should revert all the changes, and then just make a few manual exceptions.

Maybe you could set name to “Pig & Dan” as an AE, then set it back to “Pig&Dan” again but this time ticking the box to change all references? Would that put us back to last week’s state again?
That won’t work as everything is now an alias :frowning:

1 Like

If I’m understanding artist credits correctly, “Pig&Dan” and “Pig & Dan” were separate credits which have now been combined into “Pig & Dan”. It’s not possible to separate them again without manually changing the credit on recordings/releases.

2 Likes

Yep… just working that out. There are now SEVEN pages of recordings credited to the wrong artist…

2 Likes