Capital diacritics invisible in text input fields

Okay, this has been bothering me for ages, but wasn’t sure if it wasn’t some weird local issue with my browser or something, but I can’t stand it anymore.

I often edit in languages which frequently have diacritics/accents on capital letters, but these often don’t show, because the text fields all over MB are too small. This happens in pretty much every input field. It’s not so bad in those that function as search fields, since you’re selecting a result with (usually) correct diacritics. It is, however, most annoying on the track list, where you can’t be sure you’ve got the right letter unless you switch to the recordings tab, which shows plain text rather than input fields.

Should I look for a local fix, or is this a global problem worthy of a bug report?

This image shows an example, in this case the recording search field is affected. This is how every text input field behaves.

1 Like

For me capitals with accents on MB are also often visible but difficult to see.
Please put a link to your example so I can reproduce your case.

The release on the picture is this. Some more examples:

however, it can be seen by entering any character with an accent above the cap line into any text input field, like ŠČŤŽÝÁÍÉÚÄÔŇÖÜËÏŐŰŘĎŚŹĆÀÈ…

by the way, when adding links via the hyperlink button in this forum’s editor suffers from a similar fate, although here I at least saw one pixel of the accent.

I’m using Linux and Vivaldi as my OS and browser respectively. I did some more testing (should have done before posting, yes) and it doesn’t happen in Firefox and the accents are cut-off, but at least barely visible in Chromium.

First test ok on my main editing machine (Android 9 Kiwi 120):

1 Like

All good here on my main Linux and Brave (based on Chromium) with custom userstyle combo, thx to @beckfield :wink:
Though I have to admit it’s slightly worse when I disable the customisations:

1 Like

Looks similar to what I saw on Chromium. I’m going to blame Vivaldi and write me a custom style as well.

Thanks to you both!

Vivaldi on Win10

Looks like it varies by OS

2 Likes

Yeah, web tech is a mess.

input {
    padding-top:2px;
    line-height: 18px;
    padding-bottom:0px;
}

input#headerid-query, #release-editor .medium.tbl tr.track td input[type=text] {
    padding-top: 5px;
    line-height: 30px;
}

this seems to be a quick fix, though it makes the input fields a bit bigger.

2 Likes

I also use Windows 10 Vivaldi 6.5:

It seems like @spUdux and @IvanDobsky, the accent is cropped, only one pixel of the bottom is left.

Yeah, see what you mean. The weird thing is there is that clear green space around the font so it not clear that something is cropped.