Can't create account on wiki.musicbrainz.org

Is wiki.musicbrainz.org doing okay? I’m trying to create an account so I can add a link to External Resources - MusicBrainz Wiki, but the form at Create account - MusicBrainz Wiki goes nuts while I’m filling it out and repeatedly pops up a modal HTTP auth dialog. It looks like it’s making background requests to https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/api.php with the action parameter set to validatepassword, in case that helps narrow down the problem.

I take it there’s no way to just use my existing MB account to validate, right?

2 Likes

The modal asks you to type something like NOTSPAM, or something like that.

1 Like

Hmm, I’m not seeing that in Chrome 107.0.5304.110:

Screenshot 2022-12-02 20.17.57

Worse, the dialog seems to often auto-close itself about a second after it appears.

I tried quickly typing NOTSPAM into the password field and submitting it, but it didn’t make it stop. Perhaps this unique take on a CAPTCHA has found me out. :robot:

1 Like

I believe that you need to type NOTSPAM in both the Username and Password boxes.

4 Likes

Typing NOTSPAM into both fields worked. Thanks!

3 Likes

The form used to show a message saying what you should enter, but apparently that’s nowadays considered a security risk so browsers no longer display it :confused:

3 Likes

On the login page (not the create account page) you can see the instructions like this:

2 Likes