Artist real name/alias change

For the following artist, presently named “Hikaru Nanase [七瀬光]”:
https://musicbrainz.org/artist/c9ba47ca-0bd2-4814-966d-ecfb06d032a3

It seems that she has not been using that name since 2015 at the least, reverting back to her legal name, Masumi Ito [伊藤真澄] for credits on album releases (in particular, as her discography page on VGMdb shows).

How would one go about moving the present name to an alias? Or should the name just be changed yet left intact? In which case (the latter), how would the romanized artist sorting be represented?

If she considers the names to be separate “projects”, then they should not have been merged. (“same person” is not valid criteria on its own for merging MB Artists.)

Per Rainbow Drops ~ようこそ!光の音粒の世界へ~,

2000年頃より、「七瀬光」という名前で本格的にテレビアニメ等のサントラを手がけるようになり、その数は1000曲を超えた。歌う伊藤真澄とは別の顏でダイナミックで迫力のあるスコアを書き、七瀬光は男性だ、と思われた時期もあった。

That might pass the threshold for considering the name to be a different project.

In which case, how would one deal with the situation while still having all the relevant profiles linked?
Because as far as I see it, the “aliases” section is more often than not a complete mess when it comes to a lot of the JP artists I’ve seen who may have more than one name they go by in different places. But I’m unclear on how exactly to fix them so I don’t really do anything.
Some examples are what’s registered as “artist name”, “legal name”, etc.

off topic, I personally agree with separating Masumi Ito and Hikaru Nanase.

Well, if it’s actually a name change, then it would look something like these - where the credited name on the release group clearly falls within certain date ranges, and the same data is stored as aliases with date ranges: