Album Reissued Under New Artist Name

Hi,

I’m looking for some guidance about what to do with this release:

The original band, ‘Bird’, dissolved a few years ago and their album “My Fear and Me” was reissued by the lead singer under a new moniker, ‘Emmas’, in 2020. There’s a social media post about it here: Adèle Dominique Emmas

I don’t know how to approach adding this new version to the database. The audio content is entirely unchanged, but the artwork has been edited to reflect the new artist name.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 Like

Funny, I just wanted to ask about a similar situation.

For your case, I think the normal solution would be to add a new release for this new version, but include it in the same release group.

Like in the case I want to ask about:

• In 1970, Ray Perez (as leader) and Perucho Torcat (as singer) recorded Estamos en todo with Los Kenya, credited to Los Kenya (with leader and singer mentioned by name on the cover)
  • In 1973, it was rereleased as They Do It, with no credit to Los Kenya, and instead to “Ray Perez y Perucho Torcat”
    This is properly encoded as two separate releases within one release group, residing with Los Kenya: Release group “Estamos en todo” by Los Kenya - MusicBrainz

My questions:

• For the 1970 release, should/could Ray Perez and Perucho Torcat also make into the artist credits explicitly?
  • Why does the release group show up on Perucho Torcat’s artist page Perucho Torcat - MusicBrainz, but not on Ray Perez’ Ray Pérez - MusicBrainz?

I’m regularly running into this “artist” vs “orchestra” vs “artist and his orchestra”, and haven’t really found a satisfying solution. Mostly what I’d like is to be able to visit Ray Perez’ artist page and see all his albums, whether credited solo or to his orchestras.

Maybe related groups “lead by” or “with vocals by” could be linked more prominently from an artist page?

Another example is Tito Puente vs. Tito Puente and his Orchestra, which makes for a somewhat disjointed discography: https://musicbrainz.org/artist/f19ad155-d809-4770-ab8d-7579467d9f55 Tito Puente and His Orchestra - MusicBrainz

2 Likes

@LiamXn, yes, add it in the same release group, using the same recordings (or don’t add it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

Somewhat related:

For the original example, I think the guidelines are pretty clear that the old release should be credited to “Bird” and the new release should be credited to “Emmas”, and that both releases should be in the same release group. There might be room for arguments about how the release group should be credited, though. :slight_smile:

Style / Release Group - MusicBrainz says that “the [RG] artist should usually be the same as the first release,” but it’ll then only show up on that artist’s main page. I’ve seen suggestions to credit the release group to both of the artists so that it’ll appear in both of their discographies, but that feels somewhat at odds with the guidelines to me.

Would it be reasonable for an artist page to display all release groups containing releases credited to the artist, even if some of those RGs themselves aren’t credited to the artist? Would this be too confusing? Are there cases in which it would produce undesirable results?

2 Likes

As it contains new artist’s release, it will also appear on new artist, no?

As I understand it, it’ll be on the new artist’s /releases page but not on their main artist page listing their “official” release groups. See @fdsa’s example from above:

So I guess my question was whether it’d be better to always include “various artist” RGs (or maybe just VA RGs that aren’t actually credited to the Various Artists SPA) in the “official” RG listing.

3 Likes