Advice on choir releases

Kia ora koutou,

I don’t really add classical or choir etc, but have just recently added a few performances from my local area. Does anyone want to give me some pointers?

Specific questions (see release scans for info):

• I generally don’t take/have the time to add relationships, but conductor seems to be credited quite prominently on the packaging. I have added the conductor to the artists (as they look to be strongly linked), but is this considered super valuable info on a track level for choir releases?

• Am I correct to add release artists as the default [choir], [choir] & [choir] - the art doesn’t really specify - or is there another standard

• A lot of the tracks are credited to ‘combined’, I have just credited all of the choirs as credited on the release

• One has a track just credited to “2 voices” - correct to credit to [unknown]?

• This album is ‘live at the boathouse - rehearsals’. Is this a live recording?

• Do you have other notes for me?

Thanks! xo

Releases:
World Music: Combined A Capella Choirs: Nelson Cathedral 2002
World Music: Inakord, Mosaic, Octapella at Nelson Cathedral 2004
World Music: At The Boathouse: Rehearsals
One World Music: Combined Acapella Choirs at Nelson Cathedral 2008

Hey,

I can try to answer a few questions based on my experiences with classical. As you’ve found, it can get messy.

• One of the more valuable bits of information you can add to classical music relationships is the conductor, recording, and date of recording. I’ve discovered so many potential duplicates because I couldn’t be completely sure if they were the same recordings because there was no information to help me figure that out. Having these three values, wherever possible, really pins down something, particularly if a recording appears on compilations, is combined on other releases, or is re-recorded at another time with the same artists (then you have to rely on track durations, if nothing else).
  • For classical, the track artist is usually the composer, wherever possible, or [unknown] if not: https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Classical/Track/Artist.
  • Yep - I would have done the same thing for “combined”.
  • Since I have no life, I will often spend a shocking amount of time hunting down alternate sources (no such luck this time). My first instinct would be to use [unknown], but that’s a special one, so I hesitate to state “it is thus”.
  • Live recording would imply an audience (as opposed to a studio recording).

Speaking of alternate sources, I managed to find this: https://www.senscritique.com/album/World_Music_Combined_A_Capella_Choirs_Nelson_Cathedral_2002_Live/42468321. It provides a decent confirmation of your entries.

I sometimes find other notable sources (discogs.com, Presto Music, All Music, opera-arias.com, etc.) can provide some extra insight and data which I can then corroborate.

Have fun!

3 Likes

Thanks heaps!

Just one more question from a non-classical listener… are choir releases classical/do theyfollow classical guidelines? In this case with them singing ‘world music’.

With the hard copy in hand and scans uploaded I’m not too worried about alternate sources - that said senscritique is pretty quick because that looks like a copy of my entry and cover on MB :slight_smile:

FYI, Senscritique uses MB as its data source.

2 Likes

In general, yes - but if this is not of them singing any classicalish music at all, then it’s trickier and it might be better to have the choirs than just [traditional] everywhere anyway.

1 Like