Achievements

I’ve had a BookBrainz account for a while now and I think its achievements feature might be of interest to other projects. After brainstorming about it for how it might help CB, I think some sort of achievement system that connects all the projects would encourage people to try out everything and would make the MetaBrainz project as a whole feel more connected.

What I am thinking is that your MB profile (or maybe there could be something new, like a “MetaBrainz Passport” that lets you log into all the services and collects all your data across all projects in one place) would have a section that would collect achievements from all the projects. Like you could get some from listening to 100 unique artists on LB, or submitting 100 songs to AB, reviewing 100 albums for CB, adding 100 new works to MB, etc. Basically gamifying things in a way that encourages you to check things out that you might otherwise miss, and, in the process, contributes data for building the project as a whole.

Thoughts?

1 Like

There was a thread about gamifying last year that is worth digging out.

Simple reply from me - many editors here are editing MB because they believe in the quality of the data. Making this a game will just mean some people rushing to score higher with lower quality edits.

And personally I am not interested in projects like LB or CB as I am a private person and do not want to push my views on other people. I would rather share my knowledge in the MB database than tell people what they should be listening to.

This is not a game, this is about quality of information.

4 Likes

A few threads to check out:

It would be a great way to engage a different type of editor - are you keen to code it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, this is a fair viewpoint. Malicious editing to get badges has not yet happened on BB as far as I know. I think there would be little incentive to do vandalism in order to get them because there are so many bandcamp albums and ebooks out there you could add instead if you are purely interested in the rewards. My ultimate hope for this system would be to get more editors to add more esoteric details to recordings, releases, and so on that they might not be aware of beforehand (or they just felt like it was too much work for little impact).

I think, UI wise, the achievement/badge/etc. list would have be tucked away because, like you said, there are a lot of people who are only interested in the metadata aspect.

2 Likes

I did not see that old thread in the search. Having read it, I think this would be a good way to get people to participate in cleanups. For example, I’ve been chipping away at old likedis audio pages and it would take an army of other people doing the same in order to completely clean it up. Other boring stuff I can think of: replacing Wikipedia links with Wikidata links, changing iTunes to Apple Music.

I used to program several years ago, but burned out. I’m really behind the times now. I really need to get back into it because I have too many niche FLOSS ideas that I can only uselessly “idea guy” about.

1 Like