Abbreviations in community posts

(in english) SOCAN = Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada
(in french) SOCAN = Société canadienne des auteurs, compositeurs et éditeurs de musique

https://community.metabrainz.org/search?q=SOCAN

Another one: MBID/MBIDs = MusicBrainz identifiers (or maybe better vocabulary here, not sure?)

Edit: I see now it exists for the singular form but not the plural form! Spotted here.

1 Like

MBP = MusicBrainz Picard

Source

How to re-scan entire library?

3 Likes

That one was new to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your kidding right? You! One of the major contributors? :wink:

1 Like

VM = virtual machine

Source

Replication packets: how many?

1 Like

ID3 = [?; File tag format, name originally meaning ‘ID of mp3’]
Source: Reconciling Style Guide with ID3 spec among others

CE = Classical Extras
Source: Search " CE " in that thread (or elsewhere, sorting out French “ ce ”).

W&M = Work & Movements

FRBR = Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records
by
IFLA = International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions

Source

Book of carefully-edited songs, with CD: what Works?
Thoughts on data model: MB-Works, music scores, and FRBR-Expressions

BTW = By The Way

Source

Classical Extras 2.0

1 Like

I can’t find anywhere stating that this even is an abbreviation to begin with. I feel like this is as much its own term as an abbreviation of anything. “MP3” would be a better candidate for an <abbr> tag, but I feel like that would also be superfluous.

These too seem too limited in scope and context sensitive. E.g., “W&M” was defined in the first post of that topic where it was used and I don’t think it’s been used in other topics. If it ever catches on as a general abbreviation used without context, sure, but doesn’t seem like a good candidate now.

Maaaybe, but also seems like it might be too frequently used for other meanings. Also, similar to “W&E”, it seems like “CE” as “Classical Extras” is mostly used in contexts where “Classical Extras” has already been spelled out first (e.g., the “Classical Extras” threads) and not really something people use when they first bring in/mention Classical Extras in a discussion.

4 Likes

Hm. The http link is as copied, but hitting blank, and with https I get a security warning. Well then, go to id3.org and, in left panel, navigate to Introduction: “The original standard for tagging digital files was developed in 1996 by Eric Kemp and he coined the term ID3. At that time ID3 simply meant “IDentify an MP3”.” Superfluous perhaps as in overflowing or too basic, yes.

W&M & CE and their ilk: Of course, just a completist note.

CE = Chaotic Evil
:japanese_ogre:

PCMCIA: People Can’t Remember Computer Industry Acronyms.
FUBAR: F… uh, never mind. You figure it out.

But it’s exactly the state that Picard helps you make recognizable …So, there!
On that sarcastic note, I think it’s a perfectly subtle stand in title :slight_smile:

2018.5 revisited. Just noticed that, at least, plural RGs is another basic one not yet auto-magified (today’s source), so:

RGs = Release Groups

I do not know about Rs and have no time to counter the forum feature ([Ctrl + F] hijacked to tunnel vision (i.e. not searching a fully expanded thread) and search excluding both ‘Rs’ and ‘ Rs ’ as too short), but should it not be routine by now for this thread, if someone proposes XYZ, to anticipate and admin the plural XYZs also; and do a retroactive sweep of this thread while it is just some 100 posts?

The issue with plurals is that the system does not distinguish between capitalisation, so RGS and RGs (and rgs and rGs and …) are the same, so if an abbreviation in plural conflicts with another abbreviation, it can cause issues. Hence I’m not adding plural abbreviations by default until those are specifically deemed necessary/needed.

4 Likes

= If I Recall Correctly

I just had to goggle this. (search)

1 Like

CCCD = Copy Control CD

3 Likes
  • PD: Public domain
  • DP: Domaine public (public domain in French)

I have seen DP in non French sites like JASRAC.

3 Likes

AWOL = absent without official leave :thinking:? = missing.

1 Like

Sorry, had assumed it was standard word. Absent WithOut Leave. The Official isn’t in there. Military roots. Desertion - Wikipedia

3 Likes

While in the military, I was in “Courts & Boards”. AWOL was always just Absent Without Leave.

2 Likes

I have just added the ISP tag that means internet service provider.

2 Likes