A release with a very long subtitle… or not?

I’m editing the single release スタートライン!/ episode Solo, which has quite lengthy extra title information.

On the spine and obi it says: “TVアニメ/データカードダス「アイカツスターズ!」OP/EDテーマシングル”.

The cover and disc have the same in English: “TV Animation / Data Carddass Aikatsu Stars! Opening/Ending Theme Single”. (I would add this to the title of the English pseudo-release.)

As per the guidelines, I think I should add this to the title, separated from the main title with a colon. I’m hesitating a bit because of the length, however. Is this to be considered a subtitle or maybe something else that I’m not aware of?

1 Like

I usually don’t include tie‐up information… at least not as a subtitle.
But it’s only me, I don’t know about what others think.
It could go in the annotation, for instance.

That isn’t long. So I agree that you should put all the text in if that is correct subtitle.

If you want a LOOOOOOOOONG title, try this Chumbawamba album (was a world record length… may still be)

The Boy Bands Have Won, and All the Copyists and the Tribute Bands and the TV Talent Show Producers Have Won, If We Allow Our Culture to Be Shaped by Mimicry, Whether from Lack of Ideas or From Exaggerated Respect. You Should Never Try to Freeze Culture. What You Can Do Is Recycle That Culture. Take Your Older Brother’s Hand-Me-Down Jacket and Re-Style It, Re-Fashion It to the Point Where It Becomes Your Own. But Don’t Just Regurgitate Creative History, or Hold Art and Music and Literature as Fixed, Untouchable and Kept Under Glass. The People Who Try to ‘Guard’ Any Particular Form of Music Are, Like the Copyists and Manufactured Bands, Doing It the Worst Disservice, Because the Only Thing That You Can Do to Music That Will Damage It Is Not Change It, Not Make It Your Own. Because Then It Dies, Then It’s Over, Then It’s Done, and the Boy Bands Have Won.

I think that is 865 characters long… hehe…

So I think you are well within limits that MB can handle.

I always say it is better to have too much information that too little.

2 Likes

Of course, I didn’t imply or think that the length would be a technical problem. I’m just unsure if the information would be a good fit for a subtitle, or maybe something else like an annotation, as jesus2099 suggested.

1 Like

I ended up putting the information in an annotation, as it essentially just mentions the official media where the songs are used in.

2 Likes